The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Quick and the dead - Richard van Emden

potty5

Dear forum members, can remember seeing a photo a few years ago in one of my many WW1 books of a young lad pointing to his dad's name on a WW1 memorial (might be a street corner one?) but cannot locate it or find it on the net. Has anyone any ideas about the photo in question? Thanks very much.

Potty,

picture in question comes from Richard Van Emden's book "The Quick and the Dead" - details of who the boy is are covered in the book I think? Can't check for you at the minute as my neighbour is currently reading it. I'll check it out ASAP if you like?

Ant

I think the boy in question was David Faulder, a member of this Forum but who no longer posts.

£16.00 from The Book People. I've just ordered it.

It's much cheaper in paperback but the front cover is different.

"The Quick and the Dead" by Richard van Emden.

At the end of the First World War more than 192,000 wives had lost their husbands, and nearly 400,000 children had lost their fathers. A further half a million children had lost one or more siblings. One in eight wives died within a year of receiving news of their husband's death.

Richard van Emden has produced his book from many interviews with families of those lost in the Great War, as well as diaries and letters.

Through the stories in this groundbreaking history, we realise not just what became of our grandfathers but how their experiences influenced the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of a generation that they left at home.

post-51557-0-08907100-1353962272_thumb.j

Caption to the photo reproduced inside the book reads:

Harold Faulder (1918-2005), born ten weeks after the death of his father in the Ypres Salient, points to his father's name on the Menin gate memorial to the Missing at Ypres. Captain Harold Faulder ( ....) was killed serving with the 1/4 York and Lancaster Regiment on 26 April 1918. The picture was taken by Captain Faulder's widow Marjorie on a trip to Belgium in the late 1920s.

enjoy the book

cheers Martin B

• spof changed the title to The Quick and the dead - Richard van Emden