The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WWI Books written by Journalists or Other Writers

Tuscania1918

Which would appear to embrace nearly every WWI book ever written, except perhaps those comprising poetry, cartoons and maps. But then Kipling was a poet, journalist, magazine writer and book writer, and I dare say he had a go at essays in between times.

Do you want recommendations to read - which could mean an endless list - or invitations to purchase?

Moonraker

I really think you are going to need to be a bit more specific...

If you are referring to books written at or close to the time, then Philip (later Sir Philip) Gibbs was an official British war correspondent and published several books.

Keith

Another contemporary writer on the Great War was John Buchan:

Nelson's History Of The War. 24 volumes (1914-1919)

Britain's War by Land (1915)

The Achievement of France (1915)

The Future of the War (1916)

The Battle of the Somme, First Phase (1916)

The Purpose of War (1916)

The Battle of Jutland (1916)

The Battle of the Somme, Second Phase (1917)

These for Remembrance (1919)

The Battle Honours of Scotland 1914-1918 (1919)

The History of the South African Forces in France (1920)

Francis and Riversdale Grenfell (1920)

The Long Road to Victory (1920)

A History of the Great War (1922)

Episodes Of The Great War (1936)

Naval Episodes of the Great War (1938)

Keith, am I right in recalling that the men on the front line weren't too impressed by Gibbs? I seem to remember something in the Wipers Times.

Jane

You are probably right, I get no commission on his sales, and have put aside the couple of his works that I picked up for resale after making little progress with them. I don't suppose there's any point is putting them in the sales area after that comment either.

Keith

Keith, am I right in recalling that the men on the front line weren't too impressed by Gibbs? I seem to remember something in the Wipers Times.

Jane, I think you'll find it was the Divisional Commanders and their staff that Gibb's had most problems with. He has a tendency to 'tell it like it was' and it was because of some of his very first writings at the the outbreak of war (he was one of a handful of journalist to get out to France as soon as war was declared) that ultimately censorship was imposed. He & the other journalists were effectively silenced for a brief period after which they had to go through a censor etc. Whilst he works hard to balance his comments, shades of 'lions led by donkey's' inevitably break out every now and then. Strongly recommend his 'Realities of War' for a start to finish account by someone who was about as close to the action as a journalist could get.

Dave

Thanks Keith and Dave for those comments - it's a while ago since I read whatever it was set that train of thought off, and not at all surprising that I may have mis-remembered.

to read..invitations to purchase

If you are looking for books to read try searching Project Guttenberg. Many of the early WW1 books are available to download free.

Top marks Centurion. In Gibbs case 'Realities of War' is not available but some of his other work in particular 'Now it can be told' & his coverage of Passchendaele are; many thanks.

David

try student at arms by Donald Hankey he was a writer for the spectator and killed on the somme October 1916, 1st bn Royal warwicks

The suggestions are fine. I wanted to know the best books on the subject. I can always look foir them. Just want toknow if I would spend my money wisely on the subject.