The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Searching for: PTE? C J Colbert From Wales

Guest welsh jen

Guest welsh jen

Hello all, New to this forum, so I am sorry If I have posted in the wrong place :unsure:

My Grandfather Christopher James Colbert born October 1895 Swansea S.Wales I know that he served in the 1st World War.

I have a photograph of him in his uniform (attached). He is aged between 19 - 23 (more likely the latter) in the photograph. He looks as though he was a Private, however I am not 100% about this.

I would love to find out his regiment and any vital records on him. Any ideas where he would have enlisted for his service, would this have been in Wales? He continued to live in Swansea until his death in 1969.

Most places need the basic information on an individual (such as his Rank, Service Number etc) which I do not know.

A contact of mine found this on Documents Online relating to a Warrant Officer(?), not sure if this entry is my Granfather (Christopher James Colbert) :unsure: .

Medal card of Colbert, C J

1st Garrison Essex Regiment 21173 Private

Rifle Brigade 55052 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/4

Appreciate any help anyone can give

Kindest Regards

Jen L Colbert

post-1-1093552957.jpg

Hi Jen,

Has the photo you attached been cropped, i.e. is there more of it to help us?

Thanks for your posting, sorry I only read your reply today. The photograph of my Grandfather is only of his head and shoulders, the surround of the photograph is badly damaged with age, but luckily now in my possession to be saved! So unfortunately the photograph attached (and via this link) is the best I can do

http://wwiiforum.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=225

I have also recently downloaded a Medal Card for a CJ Colbert. The card may well be my Grandfather but I am still unsure ;) I have attached the file for information here.

Incidentally if anyone can help with the cards translation I would be very grateful indeed

post-1-1094068286.jpg

Hi Jen

The card shows that he entered 2b Balkans on 6th September 1915, 2b is generally Gallipoli. The card also shows that he was entitled to The 1914/15 Star the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. The tiny cross type mark next to Ist Garrison Essex Regiment means that his medals would have been inscribed to him as Private 21173 with the Essex Regiment rather than as Pte 55052 of the Rifle Brigade. He was discharged to Class Z (AR) on 25th March 1919. I can't make out the writing on the bottom right hand corner as it is too small, perhaps you could enlarge this part of your scan. The letters/numbers K/2/143 Page 39 etc are 1914/15 Star medal roll references and the other set of numbers etc are the references for the War & Victory Medal rolls.

Steve

1st Garrison Battalion left Devonport on 24th August 1915 (27 Officers & 984 Other Ranks). They arrived at Mudros, Lemnos on the 3rd September and spent time at Anzac & Cape Helles in Gallipoli. Later, during the evacuation from Gallipoli they carried out Police Duties at Anzac.

Steve

Hi Jen,

Can't help you very much but he was certainly born:

Colbert, Christopher James

Births

December

Swansea

Glamorgan West Glamorgan

11a

According to Ancestry.com that is......That's all I could find I'm afraid....

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you so very much This information is greatly appreciated :D

With regards to the wording at the foot of the card, this seems illegible to myself, when zooming the image it unfortunately becomes even more illegible.

I will digest all that you have listed and hopefully will find out the best way to move forward with his records. It is my understanding that that is a trip to Kew?

Regards Jen :D

post-1-1094071723.jpg

Hi Jen,

Can't help you very much but he was certainly born:

Colbert, Christopher James

Births

December

Swansea

Glamorgan West Glamorgan

11a

According to Ancestry.com that is......That's all I could find I'm afraid....

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you for looking on Ancestry,

Yes that is my Grandfather born October 24th 1895 and died 7 Feb 1969 in Swansea