The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/16th queens westminster rifles

chrisclare

Hello,I am trying to find out more information about my gt grandfather who I believe served in the above regiment with his brothers.I think he died near Arras in the spring of 1917 and an old diary mentions Bootham cemetary??(difficult to make out)

Can anyone help me find out where this regt were and what they were doing around this time, and how can I find out more about my gt grandfathers service during the war.

Many thanks. Chris.

553403 Rfm Albert Treuge, born and enlisted Exeter. Killed in action 14.4.17. Formerly 4190 2/5th Royal West Kent Regt.

The 1/16th Queen's Westminster Rifles were involved in the Battle of Arras on 14th April 1917. At 5.30am on the 14th the QWR and the Queen Victorias Rifles attacked from the Wancourt Tower Ridge with their objectives being another ridge 1,000 yards away and then the village of Cherisy. The men were exhausted having had one hour's sleep per day over the previous three days. As orders for the attack did not arrive until 11.45pm the night before, no reconnaissance of the ground had been possible nor was there time to explain what was required of the troops.

A and B Companies were the first wave with the objective of the ridge at which point C and D Companies were to pass through and take Cherisy. Just before the British barrage started, the Germans dropped a heavy barrage on the QWR trenches. At 5.30 they went over the top on a bright, spring morning. As soon as they started to descend Tower Ridge they were met by heavy machine gun fire from front and both flanks. In addition, some Germans appeared on Tower Ridge in the left rear of the lead companies (Tower Ridge was not wholly occupied with parts still in German hands). British artillery were unable to supress the German MG fire.

The majority of officers were quickly killed or wounded but the men pressed on to some trenches 500 yards down the slope. By this time the first wave was nearly wiped out and only the arrival of the second wave allowed them to hold this position. By 6.30 am the attack was at a standstill and a counter attack was beaten off by Lewis gun and rifle fire. Contact was lost with battalion HQ on the Tower Ridge and, to add to their problem, there was a gap on their left flank which left it exposed. Units of the 151st Brigade that were supposed to fill the gap lost their way and ended up supporting the QVR to the right.

By 6.50 the left company of the QWRs had been overrun and the Germans were working their way round the left flank of the main position. The attacks of the two flanking divisions had failed and so, by 8am, the QWRs and QVRs were in an isolated position some 600 yards in front of the main British trenches. Commanded by Lt W G Orr of C Coy they held out all day. Attempts to send messages back failed. By 9am both flanks of the QWR position had been turned and a group of Germans was seen in the rear of the QWRs. Because of the close proximity of the opposing troops it was impossible for the artillery to intervene.

At 11am Orr's position, reinforced by a few QVR and some of the 6/Durham Light Infantry, was attacked but the Germans were repulsed. Fighting now died down and orders to withdraw elements of the QWRs were sent out. Eventually, a Lt Mackle found Orr's position and sometime after 5pm they withdrew. Of the 70-80 men initially under Orr's command some 27 were left. At 9pm Battalion HQ heard that Orr had retired and Brigade HQ then ordered him back and Orr and 15 men returned to their exposed position. Men of the 168th Brigade were supposed to relieve him but they too got lost and Orr and his men were left exposed all night, only withdrawing at dawn.

The QWRs went into action with 497 men and lost 12 out of 15 officers (4 dead) and 256 other ranks (86 dead + 6 died of wounds).

There is a detailed description of this action in The War History of the 1st Battalion Queens Westminster Rifles by Maj J Q Henriques.

• Admin

Silent Cities says that Bootham Cemetery is 6 miles SE of Arras.

Created during the first battle of Arras April 1917. Casulaties from 2 R Scots Fusiliers and !st Queens West. Rifles April 14th-23rd

Records 186 Uk burials

Regards, Michelle

:blink:

Thank you so much for your information. I felt a mixture of emotions reading through it, thank you!

One further point, is it possible to find out more info on enlistment and/or service?

Chris.