The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Finding My Great Grandfathers Units ect

Guest jon9

Hello every one, a new bee in the house, i just wanted to ask you guys about how i can find what units and formations ect of my great grandfather. i am also a member of other forums. They Told me on the photo the badge on the hat was or Looks like the Duke of Wellington's. How will i be able to find out more about my Great grandfather? Well here is a photo of him. he is called Harry Wharton from yorkshire.

Hope you can help!

Best Regards

Jon,

:D

post-2-1093611172.jpg

Hi,

That is the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment badge.

Do you have any additional details? e.g. service number, battlion, or enlistment dates - did he survive the war?

If you can fill in one or some of the above, then you will be able to at least start fitting together the outline of his military service. If you go to the main website, and read "How to research a soldier", you will get a very good idea of what is needed. Main website

The ideal would be to track down his service record (if it still exists), and then read through the relevant extracts of his unit's war diary.

I' m currently researching some aspects of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, and there are a few others on the forum with an interest in this regiment, so if you can, get as much information as possible, and we may be able to add some further details.

good luck with the search - and welcome to the forum

rgds

doogal

Post the details you have on him Jon. Easier for people to help.

Regards

Tim D

Name: Harry Wharton

We belive he has been to the following places, we know this by postcards ect

Harry Wharton was brought up in the town of heckmonwike (WEST YORKSHIRE). He had lived their most of his life. Harry was married to Marry Emma Wharton and had one son named Jeffrey Wharton. Harry Has taken part in the great war 1914-18 war. He was wounded in France. He was shot in the foot, leaving him a ticket home. He was wounded around August 1915 . The wound probably saved Harry’s life. Harry Was In Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment

That is the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment badge on the picture above of Harry. Located on top cap hat.

We believe Harry has been to the following places in the Great War 1914-18 war

Neuvillette - L’Ecole

Lestrem L’Eglise

I have one more postcard but it seems but harry has (The Name of place on the bottom of the postcard has been damage (by scratches) maybe Harry did not want to see where he was (Place ect) dued to this postcard sent to his parents.

Here is an interesting part,

Lestrem - La Poste

Dear Parents and Sisters, You will find some interesting news every week in the cleckheaton guardian an article signed by periscope which tells about our battalion.

Below is a picture of the article, please note an article by periscope was writen every week! So need to make a trip to the newspaper center!

When I was given postcards and pictures of Harry, I came across two German Postcards. Its amazing how much you can research on from a postcard. I found on the postcard a named infantry called RESERVE - INANTERIE - REGIMENT 219. Reserve-Westfalia, which is far from MecInfanterie-Regiment 219 was raised in Mülheim and Dortmund in North-Rhine klenburg. The regiment was part of 47. Reserve-Division throughout the war.

The reverse of the card refers to Division Bredow, which was the name of 18. Landwehr-Division before it was numbered. Unusually, the division continued to use the name, despite having a number. The last word is Polen (Poland), which may be where the photo was taken.

The card was sent (Abs. = Absender) by Musketier Hermann (or someone with a very similar name).

I don't know of any reason why RIR 219 and Division Bredow are mentioned together on the card, as there is no apparent link between the two.

The only plausible explanation is that the regiment may have been briefly assigned to Division Bredow while in Poland, but I have no information to back this up.

This Photo was given to me by my grandmother, but before that it belong to my Great Granfather who was in the Great War 1914-1918 war His Name Harry Wharton. I have no idea who it belongs to but maybe be my Great Granfather must have taken it from a dead German soldier . But i dont know if this was true or what i may never know that. But maybe that could have happened or it could had been on Christmas 1914 when the Germans came across to meet the British. They traded pictures, postcards ect.

RIR 219 was part of the 47th Reserve Division 1914-18. As such it took part in the following campaigns in WW1:

1914:

Woevre Front France October.

Sent East in November.

Tarnow

1915:

Tarnow, Galicia

Poland

Lipsk.

1916:

Lipsk-Baranovitchi sector

1917:

Transfered to West May 1917

Aisne front

1918:

March Somme Offensive.

Marne battle

The division was dissolved in June 1918

Picture of RIR 219 below

Below is a picture of the article, please note an article by periscope was writen every week! So need to make a trip to the newspaper center!

Having problems uploading the pictiures on!!!

Not listed as Wharton on Medal Roll Index????

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately the MIC's for W are not digitized yet. You can either get a researcher to do a manual check at the PRO...try a post in the 'Going to the PRO' section or wait until they are digitized and search them online.

Regards

Tim D

I found this place near me, do you think i will have any look of finding info on my Great grandfather here?

Military (or L.D.S. Church) records

The best starting point for original material is the Public Record Office in London, where a prior knowledge of the regiment or campaign involved is likely to be helpful. The National Army Museum in Chelsea has a considerable collection of records as do the Ministry of Defence and regimental archives. The local regimental centres in West Yorkshire are for the Duke of Wellington's Regiment and the Prince of Wales' Own Regiment of Yorkshire.

Records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission are available on CD-ROM at some libraries, including Wakefield Library Headquarters and Huddersfield Reference Library

Yes. The Public Record Office or National Archives is the place to obtain his Medal Index Card. If it is not close try putting a request in the 'Going to the PRO' section to see if someone can obtain a copy of his Medal Index Card for you. Some members of the forum may be inclined to do a search for a small donation to the forum. The regimental museum would also be worth contacting.

TD

Interesting that of the 3 men, 2 have 08 belts and 1 1914 leather.

The man in front has the later shoulder title (introduced in 1915) and he and his mate (who incidentally is a Stretcher Bearer) carry early gas hoods (introduced after the German gas attacks of early 1915).

Cheers.

i have always be so interested in to RIR 219, I dont why my great grandfather has been keeping them, its a shame he is not here to tell me today.

Message to

Raster Scanning, which photo is this top or bottom?

Message to. Tim D

Yes, my uncle still has his medals! but i just need to take a look at them and see what they are. When i see them i will take photographs !!!

Thanks to all of you

Best Regards

Jon,

Good for you Jon,

Seeing what is impressed on the medals will give you the best starting point possible.

Tim

Jon.

The top one.

Cheers.

John.

Message to John

yes i think your right there!!

Message to Tim

I will try and get picture of them as soon as poss!

by the way can any of you guys read the back of the postcard?

Thanks agian

Jon,