The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Translated WWI Books From Germany

Tuscania1918

Are there any World War One books telling the German side of the war., Are there translated books any where in bookstores. I have looked for the German side of the Naval Wars as well as the ground war ect....and have not found any. Has anyone found any, any where?

Search Jack Sheldon in Amazon Books. Not translated from German (first hand accounts excepted), but well worth reading.

Phil

What about Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.......... very interesting introduction in the latest print about the translators interpretation of 'what the author meant' also the bibliography might help, Colin

As part of a very slow going project I have located some 160 and purchased some 140 or so German Great War works - novels, poetry, diaries and personal accounts - over the past six or seven years. This list excludes translated works of senior officers - the axe grinders and I am sure there are more.

There is a great deal of very valuable writing amongst them, including surprisingly two homoerotic works (which were interesting) as well some extremely worthwhile fiction. All were published in the UK or the US.

The project is to complete a commenatray and bibliography on the works and the authors. It's extremely slow going and currently delayed by the fact that about twenty or so which I know have been translated are either impossible to locate or extreemly costly (for good copies - don't ask about dust jackets).

Part of the problem is time, life and everything else, and the " is it publishable.

Alternatively should I create website and put on what I have already, or (immodestlysince I seem to know as much about the subject as anyone)would anyone be interested in simply buying the bibliography without the commentary.?

Any thoughts?

A brief annotated bibliography might be a good compromise. One or two sentences about each title would definately be handy

Daniel Horn, ed. (1967): War, mutiny, and revolution in the German Navy; the World War I diary of seaman Richard Stumpf.

Philipp Witkop (2002): German students' war letters

Herbert Sulzbach (1973): With the German guns: four years on the Western front, 1914-1918

Fritz Nagel (1981): Fritz, the World War I memoirs of a German Lieutenant

Hans Carossa (1930): A Roumanian diary

Ernst Rosenhainer (2000): Forward march!: memoirs of a German officer

Bernd Ulrich (2010): German soldiers in the Great War: letters and eyewitness accounts

G. J. K. Asmis (2010): War diary of my Prussian grandfather

Alexander Gustav Martin (1936): Mother country, fatherland; the story of a British-born German soldier