The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Dorsets - 32nd Division

Billy Bittles

Need any information anyone may have about an attack that was made on the 32nd Div front line which was manned by the 1st Dorsets by the Germans on 7 May 1916.

This part of the line was on the right flank of the 36th (Ulster) Division and at the same time the Tyronne Volunteers (UVF) of the 36th had sent out a large rading party to the German front, but the Derry Volunteers (UVF) of the 36th helped the Dorsets hold out against German advances.

Any information anyone may have from the Dorsets about this raid would be gratefully appreciated for new website thats being created about the 36th (Ulster) Division at the Somme.

Any information used will be credited to the sender.

Cheers

Billy

There is a good account of the 1st Dorsets in Charles Douie's The Weary Road ; Douie was an officer in the battalion. The original edn came out in the 1920s, but there was a reprint in the 90s I believe. If you cannot get the book or want the info in a hurry email me via my website (click on the WWW link attached to this post).

Billy, This is your lucky day. I purchased a postcard years back that had a photo of the prisoners taken on this raid by the 99th Reserve Regiment. I later wrote an article for Stand To! (No. 50) on this very event.

I have a copy of the raid details on Word I believe and an expanded version that I was using in a project concerning the Germans on the Somme. I used part of the source mentioned in the response by Paul Reed as well as a number of others including part of an unpublished diary from a sergeant in the 1st Dorsets, several newspaper accounts and every German source I could find.

Sound like anything you would like? I will get it off by e-mail shortly. I know where this one is stored.

Ralph

Thanks for the pointer Paul. I'll have a look for the book and if i cants get my hands on it i'll let you know. Nice site by the way. I'll be back to sign the guestbook B)

Ralph, again that sounds like just the thing im looking for. Esp. the postcard pic and the dairy.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated :D