The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Schlachten des Weltkrieges. Spring Offensives?

sjustice

Hello all,

Many members, particularly our German-speaking brothers and sisters, will be familiar with this wonderful series in thirty-eight volumes. Having spent some time trawling through purchases, libraries and bibliographies, it occurs to me there is one glaring hole in an otherwise globally comprehensive discussion. The set appears to jump from Cambrai 1917 to the Aisne offensive in May and June 1918, therein by-passing the Michael, Georgette and Mars offensives of March and April in Picardy and Flanders.

I find this strange and a little sad. Particularly bearing in mind the series does deal, for example, with the (German) offensive and defensive battles of May and June 1918; the growing difficulties (Wachsende Schwierigkeiten) of June and July 1918 and 'Die Katastrophe des 8 August 1918'; all without flinching.

Does anyone have evidence as to why these important episodes appear to have been missed?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

They where not covered in the earlier series before the formation of the Reichsarhiv.

With the German Army expanding in the 30's, the Reichsarchiv they did many additional papers for the army, this took staff away from the writing of the histories. This may be the reason. I will have dig around look and give some examples, with the numbers, if IRC over 70 were written that had not been planned.

Hi Mart,

That's interesting, isn't it? Nice to hear from you and please do have a dig around.

Cheers,

Simon

Doesn't really answer your question, but the following provides a brief overview of the series:

IV. Die Buchreihe "Schlachten den Weltkrieges"

Die Nachfolgeserie "Schlachten des Weltkrieges" erschien in drei Ausführungen in verschiedenen Preislagen: die preiswerteste Reihe hatte weiße Pappeinbände mit farbigem Außenaufdruck, die mittlere Reihe zeichnete sich aus durch grün-"feldgrauen" Einband mit goldenem Aufdruck, die teuerste Ausführung war teilledergebunden.

Alle Bände erschienen zwischen Anfang 1921 und Oktober 1933, die Gesamtreihe umfaßt 8.001 Seiten und über 16.500 Nennungen von kgl. preußischen, kgl. sächsischen, kgl. württembergischen und kgl. bayerischen Offizieren, Unteroffizieren u. Mannschaften, dazu noch etliche russische, französische, türkische und britische Offiziere, aufgeteilt auf 36 Bände, die vom Schriftleiter der Reihe, Archivrat Soldan in Potsdam, herausgegeben wurden. Neben dem Text sind vielfach Schmuckbilder, Vignetten, Zeichnungen und Fotografien in Form von Offizierportraits, Landschafts- und Schlachtfeldaufnahmen, Karten der Kriegsschauplätze und Kriegsgliederungen beigefügt Mit Namensregistern ausgestattet sind lediglich 13 Bände, während 23 Bände ohne Namensregister auskommen mußten.

V. Aufgabe und Zweck dieser Reihe

Ziel der Reihe, an der 23 Hauptbearbeiter mitwirkten, war es, neben dem Reihen-Werk "Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918" eine mehr volkstümliche Schriftenreihe zu schaffen, die sich speziell mit den Einzeldarstellungen des Weltkrieges befaßte, um mehr ins Detail gehen zu können. Die Schriftfolge sollte "den inneren Zusammenhang der gewaltigen Geschehnisse des Weltkrieges vorführen, die Einzeltaten deutscher Männer vor Vergessenheit bewahren helfen und den gefallenen Helden des Krieges das verdiente Denkmal setzen". Den Mitkämpfern sollte ferner "ihr eigenes Erleben wieder näherrücken und die einzelnen Kampfereignisse in ihrem Zusammenhang zeigen, der heranwachsenden Generation aber ein Bild unvergänglichen deutschen Heldentums ... geben".

Zur Mitarbeit wurden meistens Offiziere der Alten Armee oder soldatische Schriftsteller gewonnen, die nicht im Reichsarchiv beamtet oder angestellt waren und nur für einen oder einige wenige zusammenhängende Bände die Fertigung und die Redaktion übernahmen. In einigen Fällen wurden die Bände auch von Archivaren des Reichsarchivs verfaßt.

Grundsätzlich jedoch wurden diese Manuskripte dann im Reichsarchiv-Referat "Volkstümliche Schriften" überarbeitet. Sie erschienen in mehrfacher Auflage, doch sind sie bis auf das jeweilige Vorwort ungeändert nachgedruckt worden - das Namenbuch gilt also für alle Auflagen. Der Umfang der Reihe war ursprünglich vom Reichsarchiv weit größer geplant, doch ging die Umsetzung der Veröffentlichungen nur langsam vonstatten und mußte sich schließlich auf 36 nicht chronologisch sortierte Einzeldarstellungen beschränken.

http://home.foni.net/~adelsforschung/schlacht01.htm

Ken that text has some errors in, specifically "Der große Krieg in Einzeldarstellungen",(The Great War in Individual Representations) the previous series which I mentioned, they say went to 39 issues, in fact only 15 were published of the 39 planned. Some of the planned where done in the green books such as Verdun and The Somme.

'Der Tag X. Die Große Schlacht in Frankreich (21. März - 5. April 1918)' by Gustav Goes is probably the next best thing.

Robert

Hello,

Not wanting to hijack this thread but...

While this discussion is concerned with German archival material I wonder if anyone has come across this periodical from the 1920's and 1930's:

Die Kraftfahkampftruppe

It is used as a source in Maxwell Hundleby and Rainer Strasheim's book on German tanks.

I am interested in a number of articles by Ernst Volckheim published in the above series

Regards

David

Hello,

Not wanting to hijack this thread but...

While this discussion is concerned with German archival material...

No. This thread is about a specific, secondary, printed series of volumes and its content. Your query deserves its own discussion.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

In 1933 the Prussian-German military record groups from the Reichsarchiv were relocated to the Heeresarchiv, when the green books ended, maybe that is the reason the series ended.

In 1924 cooperation between the Reichsarchiv and the Ministry Defense, under Major General Rudolf von Borries and other retired officers, know as Gruppe Boris, provided studies to the training office. I think these volumes do not cover what you are after, the subjects where tactical and technical, many where produced.

Sorry i could not be of any further help, I will check the preface's of the relevant volumes of Der Weltkrieg to see if they say why the green books stopped.

Regards

Mart

David, If you have any more bibliographic details let me know, I will have look at my bibliographical references.