The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dulwich

Doug Lewis

If you lived in Dulwich in 1914 which regiment would you have joined,local terrotorial, pals, or other.

I ask as my mother who is adopted,was born in Dulwich and was brought up to Wolverhampton during the Blitz. Any information would be apreciated.

Regards Doug

My great uncle (KIA 25/4/1918) from Deptford ended up in the 182nd Bgd RFA. His mate W. Haywood from nearby ended up in the City of London Rifles. I dont think there was a significant choice, you were sent where you were needed.

There is no particular battalion/regiment you could associate with Dulwich. Though some elements of the London Regiment, e.g. the Kensingtons, did tend to recruit significantly from certain parts of London there is no battalion that has a specific association with that part of South London.

Thanks for the information.

Regards Doug

I think possibly that some of the East Surrey battalions had South London affliations,but I'm not aware of any particular regiment recruiting in Dulwich.

My grandfather and his brother both lived in Dulwich,both joined the RFA.

My grandfather served in the middle east and survived,his brother served on the Western Front and was kia in 1918.

Stu.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The East Surreys did have affiliations with South London but not usually this far East. The 20th Bn of the London Regt or even the Royal West Kents probably are your best bets.

Ian

As an indication of the irrelevance of Dulwich's location to any particular unit a check on the first 50 men who lived in Dulwich who are listed in SDGW shows 33 different units with the largest associations being:

London Rifle Brigade: 4

London Scottish: 5

3rd Londons: 4

21st Londons: 3

Thank you all for your input it's appreciated. My question came from an idle thought when doing some family history research. I have no family history on my mothers natural side other than her parents names and where she was born-Dulwich.

Regards Doug.