The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

London Scottish

Guest deepathart

Guest deepathart

Can anyone please advise me if any of the London Scottish fought at Hill 60, and what units were in Ireland on 16th March 1916.

Did they remain in Ireland during the Easter Rising or sent O/seas from there?

Have posted photos on the Forum under Uniforms etc of Grandad in Kilt and glengarry and also on a horse in a different uniform (this one has the date on it)

Regards

Dee Hart

Dee,

The London Scottish (14th Bn, The London Regiment) crossed to France already end of October 1914 and was engaged in the Battle of Messines of beginning November. As such they were the first Territorial unit be be engaged in battle. They were on Western Front during the war, and might have been at Hill 60 in April 1916.

Since The London Scottish are a Territorial Force unit, they formed a 2nd-line unit when the war broke out. This battalion was designated 2/14th Bn, The London Regiment. This battalion was in Ireland in April and May 1916. See this page at www.1914-1918.net for more info.

The London Scottish were - on 31 october 1914 - on the territory of Wytschaete - they crossed the street Wytschaete - Messines between B4 and B5 (4th kilometer - 5th kilometer from St-Elooicrossroads) - this is more than 1 km from the limits of Messines. (The frontier Wijtschate - Messines is only 250m from the townhall of Messines!!!. )The London Scottish were only in Wytschaete - at this spot they could't defend Messines, but they were engaged in what is called in German and French warhistory as 'The rush to the see' (and the channel harbours Dunkercque and Calais) The Germans had first to capture Ypres and Kemmel Hill and the other hills. (Battle also called first Ypres)

Guest deepathart

Thanks Frie,

I am trying to track down my grandad and can only go the photos posted - he may not even have been in the London Scottish but I do know that he was in Ireland on the 11th March 1916 - its written on the back of the photo.

He lived in Islington hence the idea he was with the London Scottish.

Regards

Dee

As mentioned elsewhere, the London Scottish were not at Hill 60 and the 2/14th were in England during March 1916, going to Ireland at the end of April. As someone else has mentioned, the Glengarries in the photo are not London Scottish but have a passing similarity to the Gordon Highlanders with which the London Scottish had a link (some members served with them in South Africa).

Guest deepathart

Bill have tried to attached Photo of Grandad in ?Hodden Grey? and other kilt ?Gordons?.

It appears too big to send if you want to email me, I can send the photos to you so you can perhaps help identify them.

Thanks for the help

Dee Hart

Guest deepathart

I have finally got the wedding photo and several others.

I will have to send through seperately as I had to crop them - there were too big

Rob has said that the sporran badge is the Liverpool Scottish.

If so can anyone tell me about them please.

there are 4 photos in total sorry to be a pain.

Regards

Dee Hart

Dee,

The badge in your first photo (with the kilt) looks like that of the Liverpol Scottish since that horse looks much like the badge of The King's (Liverpool Regiment). The badges on the other pictures look like a grenade as worn by many of the Fusilier regiments. Sorry I can't be more specific about those.

Wienand

Hello the forum.

I agree with the Liverpool Scottish the Kilt that you can see the set plainly in the photograph is and I am sticking my neck out on this one, is the tartan of the Clan Forbes, the tartan worn by the Liverpool Scottish the other picture of the gentlman in the kilt if you look very close you can see a set it is very faint but it is there, and of course there is the badge on the sporran, by the way nice photographs Dee.

Cheers to the Forum.

Rob.