Chris_Baker

Battle on the Aisne 1914: the BEF and the birth of the Western Front

by Jerry Murland

published by Pen & Sword Military, 2012

ISBN 978 1 84884 769 9

cover price – £19.99

Hardback, 211pp plus notes, appendices, bibliography; index. Illustrated

reviewed by Chris Baker

Another work from the prodigious pen of [GWF pal] Jerry Murland, following on the heels of his "Retreat and reaguard" which followed the fortunes of the British Expeditionary Force in its withdrawal from Mons to the River Marne in 1914, "Battle on the Aisne 1914" picks up the story from there. Just as in the case of the fighting of late August and early September 1914, this period receives great attention in the British Official History yet aside from coverage in memoirs and regimental or divisional histories has received surprisingly little since. But just like waiting for buses, two come along at once and it was only in May 2012 that Paul Kendall's admirable "Aisne 1914: the dawn of trench warfare" covered, quite literally, the same ground. Both are typical of the modern scholarly genre, drawing upon a wide range of primary and secondary sources to assess the battle from strategic, high command level down to the experience of the Tommy and the bullets.

The valley of the River Aisne and the heights on the north bank, the Chemin des Dames ridge, is a pretty place today: quiet, wooded slopes; some small villages. For the most part its importance is as a Franco-German battlefield, for the BEF was here for only two short periods in the war, both unhappy and costly. Stand on the ridge today and it is easy to appreciate why the German armies chose to halt their withdrawal from the Marne here and to dig in, for it dominates the river valley below. Walk up the slope from Troyon to the sugar factory at Cerny and imagine coming under fire from the ridge above and from the spurs of hills on either side - a frightening prospect indeed. The story of the 1914 battle is one of a series of bitter British efforts to gain the ridge, hampered by the slopes, by the difficulty of finding locations for its artillery and by an increasingly stretched logistic chain behind it. The casualties were great, the experience of making frontal assaults against a determined and dug-in enemy just the start of a nightmare. The losses of officers and men of the regular army, some of whom were recently arrived drafts from the reserves making good the casualties from previous weeks, would leave a serious deficiency for quite some months - and not just in the lower echelons, for on the Aisne numerous unit commanders met their end or would otherwise play no further part.

The author's narrative is clear, easy to read and engaging. I do not think that students of the battle will find much that is genuinely new here in terms of the basic facts, but the stories, quotes and anecdotes bring life to the proceedings and reveal weaknesses in British structure, tactics and command. There are a number of simple and clear maps to help navigate what for some readers will be new territory (which, by the way, is well worth a visit) and a good selection of photographs by way of illustration.

Well worth a read.

[This review first appeared on the Long, Long Trail website]

About half way through the book - engaging read, well written and researched. Puts in to context the action where one of those on my signature was wounded (subsequently dow).

Chris, as usal, is spot on the "weaknesses in British structure, tactics and command". A co-ordinated advance it was not and the placing of most of the RE Bridging Trains in the rear when advancing toward a river overlooked by the enemy is not, perhaps, one of the brightest of military decisions. Easy to say with 20/20 hindsight though. What comes through, despite the mistakes and misunderstandings, is the professionalism of the Infantry in the advance and attack. Will be visiting the Aisne in 2014 and really looking forward to it.

If you are going to visit the Aisne wait until April when my Battleground Europe guide to the Aisne will be published - some great walks to had.

Just reviewing this. Readable and well researched but the mappping is a total crock!

Sadly not uncommon (as you no doubt have observed). Presumably a good way to cut costs on behalf of the publisher.

On topic, I'm looking forward to getting a copy of this: I thoroughly enjoyed the same author's book on Mons.

From my own experience with P&S it is not so much a way of cutting costs as that the author is left to his/her own devices when it comes to maps. In consequence some use well-worn maps from official or regimental histories (often badly reproduced), some have a go at producing their own either by hand or software. I did mine on my laptop; I know Jerry has used someone to do his. But it is quite a pain really.

Jerry

I believe that good maps are essential and genuinely deserved by readers - particlarlar those coming to the particular battle or campaign for the first time

I have finished the book. Impressive, but I would welcome a comment from you on the maps.

I have hit P&S time and time again in reviews - although they are not alone in the problem - about the very poor mapping in most of their books, and frequently poor picture reproduction, with little effect.

It's something that authors must get a grip on - generally maps are even more important than the illustrations.

Sadly, I think your new book is particulaly poorly served and will say so in my Stand To review I'm afraid.

Please note Its nothing personal and I I know the Aisne it's not a particularly hard battle to follow, but I found myself constantly inable to find the locations of places in the your text. Some places mentioned and not mapped etc.

Regards

David

David

In reply to your post regarding my recent book there are six maps in the book as follows: Map 1 - covers the area between Mons and Chaumes which I have described as the BEF Battleground between August and September 1914. There are over 40 major place names on the map which covers the retreat from Mons and the advance towards the Aisne. Large scale but illustrates the events covered in the first chapters. Map 2 -indicates the high ground in the Aisne valley and its relationship with the river - an essential aspect of the battle. It shows the British lines and indicates the important towns and villages around the valley. Map 3 - provides the reader with what I have called The Big Picture. The all important German dispositions from Noyon to Verdun are indicated clearly and the small area of the BEF frontage on the Aisne is shown clearly. Important if one is to understand exactly how extensive the German forces were. Map 4 shows the left flank of the BEF frontage- it is a simple line map with the all important high ground clearly shown and the major places mentioned in the text are marked. Similar comments can be applied to Map 5 and 6. Map 6 in fact contains over 20 marked places and provides a clear understanding of the right flank of the BEF frontage. I wanted to provide the reader with simple and clear maps showing the relationship between the river and the high ground and I believe I have done that. All too often maps that are found of the Aisne Campaign in regimental histories have subsequently been shown to be inaccurate a notion that prompted me not to provide maps of individual brigade and divisional dispositions - The exact line the BEF occupied during the campaign is still unclear despite a thorough examination of the relevant WDs.

As for photographs I think I have provided the reader with a good selection of photographs not only of specific locations but of the individuals I have written about. I always try in my writing to focus on the individual and narrate the story of the battle through their eyes - to merely narrate the events of the battle without personal accounts would, in my mind be pointless.

I would be interested to know the view of those who have very kindly bought my book - and to those of you that have very many thanks. David, you appear to have focused on the maps - thanks you for reviewing my book but dare I ask if you have commented on any other aspect? I did see the word impressive but it would be lovely to know what was impressive! For instance I spent some time looking at the RFC and Artillery contribution to the battle, did you find that useful or informative?

It may be of interest that in the forthcoming Battle Ground Europe volume on the 1914 Aisne Campaign I have include a large number of maps from a variety of sources, including French Trench Maps which cover the same area as that occupied by the BEF in 1914.

Jerry,

Thanks for the courtesy of your reply. I have no criticsms of the pics, but I consider the mappng too simplistic. Equally it is a criticism I have of a number of P&S books. I have said simplistic in regard to the maps and I hold to that. Equally I have compared it to Paul Kendal's recent book. I think my comments speak for themeselves. Obviously the views are my own

Compared with the Battle of Mons, the retreat and Ypres the Aisne has long been poorly represented in the story of the B.E.F. at war. The recent publication of Paul Kendal’s excellent The Aisne: The Dawn of Trench Warfare (Reviewed in Stand To! 95) has been followed by Jerry Murland’s evaluation, Battle on the Aisne: The BEF and the Birth of the Western Front.

At first look, both books have great merits, but, not least in the quality of the production of Kendall’s volume – in its extensive use of worthwhile maps, its typography, the sheer number of worthwhile photographs, production quality and scope, at just £5.01 more than Murland’s. takes the palm. Both books have very great merits and I would underline that, like Jerry Murland’s earlier books on the British Expeditionary Force The Battle of the Marne is pacy, readable, well researched. His criticism of the B.E.F. command and control is fairly and firmly judged and found wanting. Maybe the Aisne battle is not complex by Great War standards but the actions of the B.E.F. on the heights – and in any other action – are far easier to follow on decent maps. But, and I will get this out of the way now, Murland’s maps just will not do. Yes, I’m aware that I ‘harp on’ about the inadequacy of maps too often. But hold very strongly to the view that authors must start to beat publishers to within an inch of their publishing budgets, and demand good mapping.

On the outbreak of war the British army was effectively a Colonial Police Force, too small to confront the might of the German Army, or convince the French of its fitness for purpose. Both authors underline the fact that the B.E.F. - once ill described as “a perfect thing apart” - was an inadequate in strength, artillery or ‘nous’. It was poorly led, its staff work execrable. Although still learning their craft, Sir John French - even if cautioned by K of K to preserve his force – showed timidity, as did his corps and most divisional commanders (Hunter Weston being the sole exception) in their advance on the Aisne and evidence of ‘lack of grip’ when they got there.

As the personal account selected by Jerry Murland show, of personal bravery, and in sacrifice, there was shortage amongst junior officers and other ranks alike. However, in confronting a tired, if extremely well placed, German formations on the Aisne heights with inadequate artillery and imperfect tactics they were bested. At Ypres, just weeks later, and reinforced by Rawlinson’s IV Corps, they would show both how well they could defend against a force far greater than themselves and epitomize grip. In truth both books underline that the British Army, a mere infant in 20th century arms - was defeated at Mons - if largely by circumstance - beaten on the Aisne – by a larger better commanded and positioned foe. The stuttering learning curve to victory - and Haig’s appreciation of Commander in Chief’s role - began on the Aisne.

HI chums,

I applaud David's heroic campaign to improve the quality of maps in military history books, but equally I have enjoyed reading both of Jerry Murland's 1914 books and don't think he should catch quite so much flak - I don't think the maps are any worse than those found in a lot of other books. This is surely a case of the final straw loaded on David's broad back as one of our finest reviewers triggering a reaction!

To me - as both an author and reader - the illustrations and maps are always secondary to the text. In my dealings with some publishers I have had almost no control of maps - the numbers and cost of are simply not negotiable. With P&S the situation is worse: there is no support and you have to provide your own. Jerry has had maps drawn and although they are not stuffed with detail, they did not annoy me! The desire to have every place mentioned referenced on the maps is always lurking but it is almost always impossible without over-cluttering the maps - just as bad as too simple. In the digital age I recommend downloading a detailled map of the area to have nearby as you read the text. By the way the P&S cover price is a merely negotiating tactic with Amazon - my publishers do the same - and they are nearly always available a lot cheaper!

Any way I really do have the highest regard for both David and Jerry so I hope I don't cause any offence here....

Pete

As the personal account selected by Jerry Murland show, of personal bravery, and in sacrifice, there was shortage amongst junior officers and other ranks alike....

I take it you left out the "no" between the "was" and "shortage" in that sentence David?

As a reader of books rather than an author or publisher and hence not being fully au fait with the problems of producing a book, I do find maps in most of the books I read frustrating. Some are detailed and some are not and some don't always have the places mentioned in the text on the maps at all - this is not a recent occurence; some very old books on WW1 suffer from exactly the same problem.

So, why not put the maps in one section as an appendix making them easy to refer to rather than flipping pages between text and maps to find places mentioned?

The question of maps is always tricky. One of the reasons they are far from good in my Somme book is that I wanted both end papers as maps, together with a fold out of the whole battlefield. I provided them but they were ruled out on cost grounds. I tend to agree with Pete over providing your own; certainly when I am working or reading something detailed, I generally have the relevant 1:25k map open, together with the best contemporary one I can find - but there are no easy solutions I fear.

Jack

Off topic, somewhat, but the maps in Bryn Hammond's excellent book on Alamein were next to useless.

There could be a reasonable income for a good cartographer who concentrated on maps to illustrate military books.

I know one, but she is so over-worked new commissions are way in the future.

Pete, certainly no offence taken, I am sure GM feels the same, I am not saying that it is a bad book - far from it - and I think I make that clear. I am never in the business of slagging off a book merely seeking to give an overall flavour and note to the quality as I see it.

But finally I had direct comparsons and the fact is that compared with the other book on the Aisne, its overall quality - paper, print, pics, maps - non of which were in GM's gift - when there are two books on the topic that which is best overall against these criteria is the one I feel I should recommend..

Thanks for comments - certainly, as I think my review and thses comments show, I have no criticism of JM's text, (and yes I did mean NO shortage of bravery.

Equially I am aware of many of the problems authors have at all stages with a book. Perhaps the last camel did break my back.But I know I am not alone in my criticism. of poor mapping. It used to be much better handled by publishers after the Great War - now they seem to need a good hard thump. The main problem is of course publishers' margins. P&S have brought many books valuable books to us. But they do so through tight cost control and mapping, photographs, indexing et al suffer .

Finally I underline that it's not so much a problem to those of us interested in the conflicy, but for newcomers to the war, or a specific battle, lacking other reference it is a huge hinderance.

Regrads

David

From the Pen and Sword contract clauses:

'Maps - the Author shall be responsible for supplying the Publishers with any maps necessary for the work. In the case of the Author supplying accurate roughs the Author shall bear the cost of having these maps professionally drawn.'

As local history does not attract JK Rowling size advances I guess that mapping will continue to be an issue for some, unless an author has a helpful cartographic chum or is an IT expert who can twiddle the knobs...

Bernard

About 6 years ago, P & S paid me to proof-read one of their forthcoming books. Amongst the errors I pointed out was a mis-orientated map, something like 30 degrees off true north. Needless to say, the book was published with the map error still there.

Keith

Now come on chaps! Let's not have a slanging match about publishers. Pen and Sword have been very good to me and took a risk with my first book - Aristocrats Go To War - and since then have accepted all of my suggestions and submissions for future work. I am most grateful to them for their support and to Henry Wilson and Rupert Harding. David may have a point about maps and I may disagree but there is no need - in my humble opinion - to have an un-festive go at publishers generally! Bernard's point is a good one but so is Steve Broomfield's - please lets not get into the business of relegating the quality of text over the issue of maps or some suchlike. (Is that a word?) Happy Christmas to you all and may 2013 bring a new crop of books that everyone is happy with. By the way - you can get Aristocrats Go To War on Kindle now!

Jerry

David

GM? or should that be JM?

Jerry

Maybe he thinks you've been Jenetically Modified.

And, to be fair to P&S, they publish books which would probably not see the light of day elsewhere, and at remarkably affordable prices.

Just signed my third contract with P&S (two of them they instigated by asking me to take a project on) so no complaints from me. But the author (usually) has to supply all data, images, maps, indexes etc. at own expense. No problem with that...

Bernard

All very fair points, clearly explained. Certainly I would rather have the books, and P&S make an important contribution to us all with their publishing programme. It's all about costs, and I understand that to. Most print runs are relatively small, big print runs are far more cost effective , but ours is a pretty small market. So thank you P&S. However, I will continue to comment on maps, perhaps it will persuade P&S eventually to consider them as an important contribution to a well crafted text and sales rather than just another damned expense for the accountants (damn their eyes) to pick away at.

In closing - before the first drink of the day - the rest of the pressies (havn't opened the IPad yet) Merry Christmas to all Forumistas. I remain as impressed as ever with the help and valuable contributions to comments, questions and views which are asked, answered and commented upon.

Thanks Team

David

Just to add a little. I remember one of the reasons I was drawn to the Great War was the maps contained in Middlebrook's 'First Day on the Somme'. I think as a newcomer to the war they drew me in and I spent some happy hours trying to draw the maps to use on a overhead projector to show at school.

David