The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battle on the Aisne 1914: Jerry Murland

Chris_Baker

To Jerry Murland,

I have read with great interest your book 'Battle on the Aisne 1914' as I have researched the records relating to my great uncle, Albert Wilson, 4th. Battalion Middlesex Regiment killed in action according to his miitary record sheet ' sometime between the 13th. and the 17th. September'. Having regard to the information in your book (pp 90/91) I would surmise that in all probablity he was killed on the 14th. on the attack on the Jouy Spur but I suppose that it is impossible to identify the exact date and event.

I am also trying to identify those in his battalion who might have fought and died alongside him. However, from the CWGC I can only identify 17 members of the 4th. Battallion who died between 12th. and 17th. September. Some would of course have died of wounds later but, whilst every death in action is one too many, I am a bit surprised that there are not more to be found.

I hope to prepare a full list of the 4th. Battalion soldiers KIA in the battle with records and intend visiting the battle ground next year. so I await the maps that you will be publishing with interest. Of course, somebody may already have prepared this list before me.

An excellent book - and the maps are fine with me!

Roger Caves

Dorchester

Dorset

Thank you very much Roger - I'm delighted to hear the maps are fine with you! My Battle Ground Europe book due out in April may help you when you go the the aisne - a great battlefield to visit.

Jerry

...... My Battle Ground Europe book due out in April may help you when you go the the aisne - a great battlefield to visit.

Jerry

I look forward to the book Jerry. I agree with you regarding the Aisne area. I have been there 3 or 4 times, but I'm sure there is plenty that I have missed.

Keith

The interesting thing about the Aisne is the French involvement - wherever you go you cannot but be reminded of the Nivelle offensive and the great slaughter on the Chemin des Dames.

Jerry

• 3 months later...

This is my review of Battle on the Aisne 1914.....

This book is a continuation of Jerry Murland's previous work on Mons and the Great Retreat. As such the opening introduction is a clear review of 'events so far'. The Battle of the Aisne is a fascinating and dramatic passage of arms but Murland takes care to point out that the BEF was a very minor player in the bigger picture. Having said that this book tracks the BEF in a story that includes moments of dramatic excitement that match fiction. Whether it is a whole brigades teetering across single plank bridges above the swirling Aisne, or the desperate struggles of the sappers to create pontoon bridges, there is plenty to stir the blood.

The book does not fail to address the failure of Sir John French and GHQ to spur the BEF forward with sufficient urgency in the advance from the Marne. In truth French did not understand the situation, failing to have any real inkling opportunities that may - or may not - have briefly existed to seize the Chemin de Dames heights before the Germans had brought up reserves and consolidated their defensive grip - and the door was slammed shut in the faces of the BEF. The confused fighting raging on the spurs running down from the main ridge gave copious opportunities for German flanking fire and the overall superiority of their artillery caused heavy British casualties. Some of the fighting was savage with both sides occasionally transgressing the accepted rules of war in 'white flag' incidents. Then as the front line froze in aspic, so trench warfare began to make its appearance. Everything was new, everything had to be learnt from scratch. The advent of the 'Jack Johnsons' and 'Black Marias' - large shells crashing down on the lines certainly caused much comment. It was impossible to imagine that such things would have to be endured for years....

Murland also includes useful chapters reviewing the challenges faced and advances made by both the Royal Artillery and Royal Flying Corps. They were already making cutting edge advances in photo reconnaissance and wireless artillery observation above the Aisne in September 1914. Advances which gave an inkling of the future - at least when there were sufficient guns, shells, trained gunners aircraft and air crew!

If Murland has a fault as an author it is in his enthusiasm to present the material he has amassed. Sometimes one feels a bit overwhelmed with detail - although at other times a relatively obscure fact, or diversion into the story of a long forgotten individual, shines a light that makes it all worthwhile. Fair enough: but at times I would like to see more of his evident analytical skills in summing up the overall situation. As ever I enjoyed the personal accounts which are skilfully woven into the text and particularly liked the battle-cry of the Northamptonshires counter-attacking on 17 September, "Come on the Cobblers!"

The maps are adequate, although - as is so often the case - economies inflicted by publishers have had an impact in the amount of detail that can be presented. I found the selection of pictures excellent.

HPeter hart

The thing I really like about this book is the obvious enthusiasm that the author has for the subject, the thorough research and detail and that he has an easy writing style. Easy to read and understand.

Superb book IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether it is a whole brigades teetering across single plank bridges above the swirling Aisne, or the desperate struggles of the sappers to create pontoon bridges, there is plenty to stir the blood.

This will be 11 Brigade, 4 Division with 1/Hants in the lead crossing the bridge (or what was left of it) at Venizel on the night of 12 September before advancing across the plain and storming the heights at Bucy-le-Long.

What I have some difficulty with is reconciling the modern day photograph of Venizel road bridge depicted in the book - I do not recall from my visit there last year that it was a tied-arch bridge. My photos show it as a flat beam bridge next to a sugar factory with the footings of the original bridge still visible on the opposite side to the factory .... have I got the wrong place?

Marc

post-8747-0-44635400-1367842675_thumb.jpYou may well have got the incorrect bridge Marc - I enclose a snip of the IGN map of Venizel - yes the old bridge footings are still visible and the photo I took is of the modern day bridge at Venizel.

Marc

Apologies! Just looked at the photos in the book - it appears the incorrect picture has been used in the photo section. So you are right the Venizel bridge is a 'fla't one as opposed to an 'arched' one.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Apologies! Just looked at the photos in the book - it appears the incorrect picture has been used in the photo section. So you are right the Venizel bridge is a 'fla't one as opposed to an 'arched' one.

Thanks Jerry. If anyone is interested below is a photograph of the Venizel road bridge today built circa 1921.

post-52-0-40245900-1371073615_thumb.jpg

The footings of what I assume to be the original bridge crossed in 1914 are still visible as well, approximately in the position of where the previous photo was taken from.

post-52-0-15681900-1371073856_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well I feel a little under pressure here to produce good maps in a book I am writing on the Aisne Battlle of 1918.

My own mapping are very weak but I am using a couple of cartographers to produce some good quality maps, but at no little cost. It is actually a concern and a bit of a headache especially trying to find a map I could use as the basis for a map on the dispositions of the 21st Division on the 27th May 1918. The maps in the OH are too large scale for use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David, I sent you the trench maps for your sector of the Aisne - try reducing those on the computer and tracing the bits you need for your cartographer. Otherwise try the Top 25 French series - Ive got this on Memory Map and find it invaluable.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I have the trench maps and also an app for current French Maps, but the problem with the 21st Division is their actual deployment.

Hopefully I will be able to work this out, but may need to visit the NA.

Thanks for your interest and help.

David