The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Walking with the Ulster Division"

Arthur J

It has been brought to my attention there is a new book – with the above title - recently published which appears to have a poor grasp on history.

It has been written by Jonnie Armstrong and published by Ancre Books Ltd, a limited company based in Scunthorpe, and only incorporated on 18th June 2012.

The website associated with the book click here is limited to five tabs, each only having one very short text and a small selection of photographs.

Not having seen the book, or found any reviews, I am basing my “dubious quality” comment on the text and selection of photographs used to convey how it will bring you in the footsteps of the 36th.

On the “battle walks” tab there is a photograph of the concrete trenches at Vimy Ridge, and also Lochnagar crater, La Boisselle – neither of which are areas for the 36th. Other photographs appear to be of bunker systems on the Messine Ridge, but unless I am mistaken these too are outwith the sectors occupied by the 36th.

I have not been able to trace the author, or verify his pedigree, can anyone tell me anything about Jonnie Armstrong or his book

Faugh a Ballagh

Hi All

Can anyone offer any comments/review details for this book?

Arthur J

No idea on the book, but to be fair the website does mention that sites of interest to the "general Great War follower" are included in the walks (which seems fair).

I would, however, enter a caveat about anyone who writes "truely", and who refers to "French and Belgium" maps.

In all for £20 or less it looks a pretty reasonable punt to me.

Although Steven is correct that the website is not quite as bad as you make out Arthur, this does seem to be a one man band (the publishers that is) presenting a book by an author with no credentials that I can find. It needs someone brave (or well off) enough to splash out the £20 and let us know the result. The front cover image does not look very professional which would worry me for the quality of the production of the rest of the book.

To look at how an author can produce a book without using established publishers look no further than the standard set by GWF's own Alan MacDonald with his 2 books on Gommecourt.

Jim

Hi all

Yes Steven, the web site says it could also be of interest to a general war follower, but the book title is quite specific "Walking with the Ulster Division". As such I would expect the content to be specific to the Division, and not flagged up as of "general interest".

If the author is the same Jonnie Armstrong who is a member of GWF (joined October 2010 – last active November 2010!!!!) then he has done the Thiepval Wood tour with Teddy, but has not included a photograph of the trenches in the Wood on the website. If you can put the concrete trenches at Vimy on, but not Thiepval Wood - it smacks of either inept or slack research.

I must admit that I believe Jim is closer to the mark, this is a one man band doing a self publication, and as Jim has correctly pointed out the image of the front cover is not encouraging. I suspect it will be printed off on a home printer.

And can I say I am not against any "one man band". Some of the best research has been carried out by these dedicated individuals, and I have a number of them in my library.

The website states over 170 pages are the Division's history ... medals won...... I suspect this will be a plagiarised version of Cyril Falls History of the 36th.

I do not think I will “invest” £20.

Faugh a Ballagh

This forum seems to be full of people with hidden agendas to such a point I really cannot be bothered posting on it any more.

I have no idea who you are or who this author is, but I think it is disgraceful you are allowed to come on here and slam a book you haven't read and slander an author you have never met or know anything about.

I give up.

On this one, Paul, I agree with you. I'm not going to buy it (I'm not especially interested in the subject matter), but for £20 it's not going to break the bank, and if it is a rip-off, then Arthur can post a review and tell us.

Whilst the web site would fail, in my case, in its purpose (of enticing a purchase of the book) and it is perfectly fair to comment on it's short comings it seems wrong to slag off a book unread and its author, unknown. How is this different from the now forbidden comments on e bay adverts? I suspect merely in the fact that the author is unlikely to have the resources to sue.

Arthur J,

Now you have whetted my appetite as I am particularly interested in the 36th (Ulster) Division. So why don’t you fork out the £20, then let us have your opinion of whether it is of “dubious quality”, if it will bring us in the footsteps of the 36th or if it is a rip-off. As a result of your thread, I bet there are quite a few members who would like to know.

Anne

Quote "The website states over 170 pages are the Division's history ... medals won...... I suspect this will be a plagiarised version of Cyril Falls History of the 36th."

This is really uncalled for how on earth can you accuse someone of plagiarism, for that is what you are doing, without having read the book. I like others. look forward to your informed and learned critique when you have read the book.

The intention of this thread seems more 'dubious' than the 'unread' book.

Has anyone read the book already, I might be interested. Do the author mention the fightings in the second part of October 1918? It's a period which is often forgotten.... although they won a VC.

kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Hello – my name is Jonnie Armstrong. I wrote this book. I am sorry that some may think that the book might be of dubious quality. I am quite happy to answer any questions that you might have and hope to answer some of the points made here. I have nothing to hide and am not trying to ‘rip off’ anyone!

First of all, this work took me over 5 years to write and nearly all my adult life (so far) to reasearch. It is not a ‘flash in the pan’.

One of the questions above was to my pedigree. I could point out that I stood on the top of the Ulster Tower when I was 12 (in the mid 1980s), holding my father’s hand, looking across the Ulster Division battlefield, trying to learn more. I could say that I have studied history at a University higher level. Indeed, I could point to a Masters degree from a Russell Group University or leading a tour of TA officers around the battlefield in the 1990’s – but I will not. I will point to my Grandfather. He was a member of the 36th (Ulster) Division. I wanted to find out more.... This has been a labour of love – nothing else.

My grandfather fought all the way through the war with the Division from 1915 to 1919. After this he was a member of the A Specials and later, in World War Two, the Ulster Home Guard.

I wanted to find out a much as I could about the other battles that the Division (and my grandfather) fought in – not just the Somme and Messines – which I think are well documented in various works from an Ulster perspective. I wanted to find out the Ulster Division's role in Cambrai, St Quentin, Langemarck and the 1918 battles ... et al ... – all ones which my grandfather fought in and which I wanted to know more of.

My primary sources for the book have been the various war diaries of the units and sub-units of the Division found at the National Archives in Kew – I have spent more time than I would like to admit, in that part of south London! This was supplemented by research done at PRONI in Belfast and the various museums and libraries relevant to the Division – including those in Seaford (where the Division did its second stage of training) and places like Croydon – where the Division’s artillery came from - as well as studying the battlefields on the Western Front ‘on the ground’ . I feel I have done a 'real' amount of research - not just reading Falls !

Whilst writing the travel guide and walking sections I visited the Western Front well over a dozen times. I personally found that ‘the tour’ got a whole lot better when one bought the IGN (French) (1:25,000) / NGI (Belgium) (1:20,000) maps of the area, but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

My ‘tour/s’ follows the places of interest to an Ulster Division follower but, of course, takes in other interesting Great war sites that are close by – it would be silly for someone not be aware of the Lochnager Crater when in and around Albert, for example (despite no Ulster Division involvement). However, the book is ‘Ulster Division’ and follows that Division through its history and battlesites. I personally walked (with a retired Army Major) all the walks that are discussed in the book. I do think they bring something extra to the work. It is up to you to judge.

It is professionally printed and bound, and is both A4 and in colour - it weighs the best part of 800 grams – not the sort of project to rip someone off on! I am sorry that some do not like the cover – those that see it in real life (and have said the same to my face) are impressed. But again ... up to you to judge .... I know that people would have told me, honestly, if it was otherwise ....

I accept the points about the quality website but – I am on a budget – by the end of this, I expect, I will have lost a good deal money but as has been said before this was a labour of love not a profit making project. I wanted to make sure that the book was a good piece of additional information to the subject – the marketing of this is secondary to me.

The book has been reviewed by some quality people of military, NI political and (various) fraternal backgrounds and they all feel that it has become (following their additions and deletions of course !) a book worth having in a collection. Again ... up to you to judge ....

To date, everyone that has taken a copy has given positive feedback about it - but I am not so arrogant to think that it the best thing out there – I am sure it isn’t - but I would hope that you would read it first before making up your mind. Am I being unreasonable?

I have produced this work for the most genuine of reasons. It actually hurt me when I have (kind of) been accused of otherwise above. Thus I have (eventually) replied to this forum a week or so later !

Please feel free to reply or contact me direct(ish) on mail@ulsterdivision.co.uk. As I have said before – I have nothing to hide at all.

Good for you: thanks for responding, and good luck with the book.

Jonnie - can I reiterate Steve's comment - many thanks for replying - and all the very best with the book. If you look at my signature, you'll see I have quite an interest in the Ulster Division, as many of the boys from Inst served with them. I'll be placing an order very soon...

Alan

I too am very interested and thanks for responding, I suspect that the ill-informed criticism that started this thread will have done you much more good than harm.

Jonnie

good responce and good on you for doing the hard yards and producing the book and website.

Any old donkey can kick in a barn wall in, mate - but It takes a craftsman to build a barn.

Unfortunatley the internet has a few 'anonymous' donkeys wandering around.

Good for you and thank you for responding Jonnie. I have not criticized your book as I have not yet read it, but I was particularly interested to hear how your book had evolved and wish you good luck with it.

Anne

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed this book and I am glad to have it in my collection. It covers the Ulster Division from their raising and training, right through to the end of the war and beyond (including the period in late Oct 1918 as someone asked). It includes map references to the various areas where the Ulster Division fought. Post war it moves on to the building of memorials and the return of veterans, as well as outlining the fate of some of the higher ranks of the Ulster Division who were later murdered by the IRA both in the 20s and the 1980s. I like the fact that it includes areas of general interest to the battlefield visitor as I always think it is a bit churlish to ignore completely the actions of others in the surrounding areas. I quite liked the cover of the book too and the book itself is of good quality. I think it would be especially useful to someone visiting the battlefields for the first time and wanting to focus on all the areas where the Ulster Division fought and not just the immediate Somme area. . I say well done to the author, I think his grandfather would be proud.

Yoshi

thanks for your review, and to bring to the attention of the previous posters that I have edited the title of the topic. However, I still have my reservations on the selection of photographs

Faugh a Ballagh

Arthur, in the book there are photographs of 'general interest' sites but there are also photographs of the trenches in Thiepval Wood and so forth. One place the book doesn't mention is the chateau at Mailley-Mallet and the road where the 9th Rifles were lined up while Crozier was executed. It's a spot I would like to find with certainty myself but I am not sure if the chateau or wall still exists. Still it would be helpful to know which spot on the road etc this occurred, That's not a criticism of the book, it's just something I personally would like to know. There are also some old photographs I haven't seen before from the author's own collection. The 'Ulster Division Walks' in the Somme and Messines area, are places I have walked before (however I have been to the Somme and Belgium many times,others may not have) but the walks in the other areas of the battlefields I am not so familiar with and I shall walk those later this year.

If you have studied closely the movements of the Ulster Division throughout the Great War, there is probably nothing new that this book will tell you but I think especially for someone unfamiliar with the Somme and other battlefields this book would be useful. I don't know the author but from reading the book, it is clear he is someone with a huge respect for the men of the Ulster Division who fought and died in France and Flanders, which is more than I can say for some publications.

I ordered a copy today and look forward to reading it.

' I say well done to the author, I think his grandfather would be proud.'

Copy ordered.