The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

wounded and discharged

Euan

Hello,

Hope somebody can help.

My grandfather was an enlisted infantry soldier who served on the Western front in 1915 and 1916.

I believe his records are some of those missing at the PRO.

From his entry on the battalion medal roll, I saw that he was discharged from the army on 10/10/1916.

Would this have been the date he was wounded?

If not, are there any other ways I could find out what date he was actually wounded.

Cheers

Euan,

The date your grandfather was discharged certainly was not the date he was wounded.

And I know because 4 days ago I asked a similar question in Chit-chat.

Now I know that between being wounded and discharged there may be a considerably long period !

See the replies to my posting :

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...7&hl=discharged

Aurel

Euan,

no, that is the date he was discharged from the army - he could have been wounded months before that.

If you post details of his name and unit, someone on the forum might be able to offer some advice.

If he was dicharged as a result of wounds/sickness or age, it is likely he was entitled to the Silver War Badge - there are rolls for this just like the medal rolls. These usually give dates of enlistment / discharge and reason for discharge. It all helps to build the picture.

Jock Bruce

Aurel,thanks for the link. It basically answered most of my query.

Jock, thanks for the tip on the silver wound badge. I'll certainly have a look at that.

Euan