The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Supreme Command

Old Tom

This 2 volume book by Lord Hankey (Maurice Hankey, 1st Baron Hankey,Maurice Pascal Alers Hankey, 1st Baron Hankey, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, PC ) was publised in 1961 and was written some time after 1930 and was based on the authors diaries during WW1, when as an officer of the Royal Marine Artillery he was secretary of many committees dealing with the war, finally the War Cabinet, before going on the greater things. Many, like me, I suggest, had heard of him as a part of the tank story, but had not appreciated his involvement in many other aspects of the war.

I was steered towards it by members of the forum a while ago and because of peculiarities of the library service read Vol 2 first and have just started

Vol 1. I was a little surprised to find, if my searching technique is correct, that it has not had individual mention on the forum. It has been referred to in threads about Lloyd George.

As an introduction to the life of a remarkable man and an account of the higher direction of the war, it seems to me to be first class and as we approach the 100th anniversary of the Great War, I suggest it deserves attention.

Old Tom

I worked my way through "The Supreme Command" about 18 months ago, but was not aware of the Roskill volumes. That's one more on the reading list.

Keith