The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Of Those We Loved by I.L Read

Black Maria

Just noticed this superb memoir, which was first published by Pentland Press in 1994,is to be reprinted by Pen & Sword,

and is due out next March.So if anyone was thinking of buying a second hand copy, which i notice are selling for between

£95(x-lib) and £229 on ABE and Amazon, i would hang on till then.Purchased my copy from Ray Westlake a few years ago

and rate it as one of the best memoirs i have read.

Quite agree - and not only because I have a great interest in the Leicesters! Some very evocative drawings as well to accompany the text. Certainly in my top ten of later Great War memoirs.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

A real classic what good news it is being republished

Michelle

Thank you for the heads-up Blackmaria,

Wasn't he also Royal Sussex for a bit? If so do you know which Bn and is there musch coverage of his time with them in the book?

Many thanks

Jim

Thank you for the heads-up Blackmaria,

Wasn't he also Royal Sussex for a bit? If so do you know which Bn and is there musch coverage of his time with them in the book?

Many thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just had a quick flick through the book.He was commisioned into The Royal Sussex at the tail end of 1917,going to Egypt,then

returning to the Western Front in July 1918 and joining the 4th Royal Sussex till the Armistice.About 150 pages deal with this

period on the Western front,out of 495 pages and about 35 pages about his time in Egypt.The rest of the book concerns his service with the Leicesters.

Best wishes,

John.

Thank you John,

I have a friend very interested in the 4th so I'll pass this onto him, especially as there is little info on the 4th compared to some of the other Bns, and I'm sure I'll invest in it myself.

Appreciate you letting the forum know

All the best

Jim

Begging the forum's indulgence - I'd like to let interested parties know that there are now 12 copies left. (My box, when opened, contained 18 copies, not 16 as I had thought).

Tom

• 8 months later...

Hi Jim,

Just had a quick flick through the book.He was commisioned into The Royal Sussex at the tail end of 1917,going to Egypt,then

returning to the Western Front in July 1918 and joining the 4th Royal Sussex till the Armistice.About 150 pages deal with this

period on the Western front,out of 495 pages and about 35 pages about his time in Egypt.The rest of the book concerns his service with the Leicesters.

Best wishes,

John.

Managed finally to get a copy of this for myself, and even better at the great price of a fiver. Arrived today and sat for a thumb through (from back cover to front, for some reason I always do it that way) .... which became a started to read the few sentence ... then paragraph ... then, WITH STIFF DISCIPLINE reminded myself that I already had two books on the go and I must NOT put everything aside to read this ...

Oh how my reading pile order gets jostled about so!! Can't wait to read this, but must

Thank you for letting us know about it John

Many thanks

Jim

Managed finally to get a copy of this for myself, and even better at the great price of a fiver. Arrived today and sat for a thumb through (from back cover to front, for some reason I always do it that way) .... which became a started to read the few sentence ... then paragraph ... then, WITH STIFF DISCIPLINE reminded myself that I already had two books on the go and I must NOT put everything aside to read this ...

Oh how my reading pile order gets jostled about so!! Can't wait to read this, but must

Thank you for letting us know about it John

Many thanks

Jim

Your welcome Jim, yes I know what you mean , it is one of those books that draws you in and you want to read more and more , well resisted though and it will be worth the wait.

All the best,

John.