The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book Recommendation, Haig

ukphil

Hi

I'm after a good book on the General Haig.

I'm starting from the point I was taught @ school that the guy was an incompetent fool, but am now understanding the was not necessarily the case as my knowledge on WW1 is increasing.

But I want to make sure i get the right book and not waste my ££

Thanks

Phil

There are several recent volumes, but Gary Sheffield's " The Chief, Douglas Haig and the British Army", is a good read, well researched and offers you the perspective taken by the majority of informed modern historians.

Keith

Snap!

'The Chief' by Gary Sheffield. Now in paperback at only £9 on Amazon, so not risking many of your ££...

James

lol

Think we have a consensus!

Do add some diversity to your readings! I would recommend Laffin's Butchers and Bunglers, and also Dixon's Psychology of Military Incompetence.

Needless to say, FM Haig features strongly in both books...

Hi chums,

I would recommend the Laffin and Dixon books above only if you have the intellect of a lovely little dormouse that has been hit by a large hammer. They are faux history and psychology really only suited to the simple-minded! If anybody can substantiate any of the contents - something no-one has managed so far - then fair enough! Quite frankly I wonder at the the mentality of those who seem to search for Haig threads to infuse them with their dreary rancid bile!

As to the question then I think the bulk of Haig biographies are excellent - most bring something to the table! Don't forget the older books - Duff-Cooper and Terraine for instance. It is only when reading his detailed diary entries that you can grasp the man though....

Pete

Reading as much as possible on a given subject is never a bad thing. In addition to biographies Gary Sheffield and John Bourne's "Haig: War Diaries and Letters, 1914-1918" as alluded to by Peter Hart above.

I can only hope that Norman Dixon wasn't as bad a psychologist as he was a historian, if only for his patients' or students' sake. "On the Psychology of Military Incompetence" was so rife with error, ignorance & prejudice I almost threw it out.

Do add some diversity to your readings! I would recommend Laffin's Butchers and Bunglers, and also Dixon's Psychology of Military Incompetence.

Needless to say, FM Haig features strongly in both books...

Suggesting Laffin is a joke surely?

Sheffield's work on Haig is the most recent and perhaps to most in vogue interpretation of Haig and perhaps also the most well argued. It should make a good introduction to Haig but if you want to read further I suggest John Terraine's Educated Soldier and the edited volume by Brian Bond and Nigel Cave which I have just added to my collection.

Suggesting Laffin is a joke surely?

Agreed - Laffin's work is rubbish, and masquerades as history. Unbelievable that anyone would seriously recommend it as a work worth reading on a Forum of this standing. There are many other books based on fine historical research that merit attention.

Currently reading Sheffield's The Chief and Sixsmith's Douglas Haig. Both seem to be fair and balanced in their assessments.

Hi Guy's

I have just finished The Chief, great read and very accessible and I feel much more informed on the topic.

I'm now looking @ my next book Sixsmith's Douglas Haig seems popular choice

Thanks