The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Blacker's Boys - history of 9th battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers

jonathanb2701

I was wondering if anyone has got this book yet, which has been recently published.

I am waiting for a copy to arrive, but it is looking doubtful before Christmas.

It is the history of the 9th battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers in the Great War.

I'd be interested in any feedback on it from anyone who has read or seen it yet.

As the author I am biased but I can say that I am very pleased with the feedback that I have received thus far. I hope you enjoy it when it does arrive and maybe you could let the forum members know what you think. There is a thread on the book elsewhere on the GWF.

Merry Christmas,

Nick Metcalfe

I have just recieved this book, delivered by courier.

First impressions are, it is a very indepth study of the 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers,

with a massive amount of information.

Most books usually list a roll of honour, but this book also lists those who returned, with their background details.

It will really take alot of time to digest, but everything i have seen so far is over and above what i expected.

Is there an official launch of this book anywhere ?

I look forward to reading more feedback.

Merry Xmas I opened my copy last night! Typo on p 110 "Otago" not "Ottago" p.540 Pte Byers was born in County Meath! Now the rest is fine and I have a question - when were the 5/6th Bn sent to the 7/8th Battalion? OK off to check on my vino, K.

Stunning KGB. At 400,000 words to chose from you have neatly picked up on an error that I should have. Well done indeed re Otago.

As for the 5th/6th question, it never was sent en masse to another Bn. Many of its men did, of course, get posted hither and thither, including to the 7th/8th. Where did you see that?

You obviously know more than I do about 24516 Byers - let me know what you have and I'll amend his record in the addenda, which I hope to produce in 2014.

NPM

Jonathan,

There might be something next time I'm back in Northern Ireland, which is likely to be in April/May next year.

Nick

Ah Ha KGB - I now see what you mean re 24516 Byers - Oldcastle is of course in Co Meath not Co Cavan! Mea culpa. Another amendment!

Nick

Stunning KGB. At 400,000 words to chose from you have neatly picked up on an error that I should have. Well done indeed re Otago.

As for the 5th/6th question, it never was sent en masse to another Bn. Many of its men did, of course, get posted hither and thither, including to the 7th/8th. Where did you see that?

You obviously know more than I do about 24516 Byers - let me know what you have and I'll amend his record in the addenda, which I hope to produce in 2014.

NPM

Dear Nick, I only knew about Otago as I am a Kiwiphile, New Zealand is a great nation. Then I did a double take "Oh perhaps Nick is correct and it is a local spelling or something!" Now to 5/6th Bn and I only asked as you seem to have some stuff on my Grandfathers records that I did not know - 16212 Pte J Goggins was an SR in 1908 and enlisted in Aug 1914 at Clonmel into 5th Royal Irish Regt. I knew he transferred or was posted in 1915 for Gallipoli, Feb 1918 saw him with the 9th. Died in 1953 aged 62. Buried in County Roscommon. Now to Byers and that threw up some funny comments as I am trying to check out which lot he came from, quite a few here! Finally 2nd edn in 2014?

It was expensive to produce - I don't quite know whether to do a 2nd Edition or an 'Adenda ' publication of some kind. Time to think.

16212 Goggins would have had a different number as a 1908 SR. Thanks for the additional detail - it has been added to my list of amendments.

The 'Ottago' spelling was a silly mistake. I took the spelling from the War Diary and for some reason it passed all the editorial checks.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Nick

It was expensive to produce - I don't quite know whether to do a 2nd Edition or an 'Adenda ' publication of some kind. Time to think.

16212 Goggins would have had a different number as a 1908 SR. Thanks for the additional detail - it has been added to my list of amendments.

The 'Ottago' spelling was a silly mistake. I took the spelling from the War Diary and for some reason it passed all the editorial checks.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Nick

Indeed as an SR his number began with 3. Addendum are useful, maybe a booklet? I noted that some biographical details are added for some 9th veterans. 16212 Goggins born 20 May 1890 in Waterford. 1914/15 Star. Now I must do a bit of fossicking on Langemark!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time coming (I'm sure you would agree Nick), but certainly worth the wait. The bottom line is, no one will write another history of the 9th Bn RIF, because no one will need to. At over 900 pages Blackers Boys is a mighty achievement. The narrative is readable and the appendices comprehensive. Most importantly, the information Nick presents is reliable - it is clear that he hasn't made leaps of logic where only limited information is available. (For example, if he thinks that someone was a captured, but isn't sure, or doesn't quite know when, he says so.) The maps are very useful too.

The pricing is also reasonable. I'd recommend the Book Depository for outside UK buyers - free postage.

Nick - a suggestion on corrections and additions - why not publish them as a page on the Blackers Boys website?

Phillip, thanks for the kind words. I like the idea of using the website; I had come to the same conclusion myself a few days ago. I'll give that some more thought. Thanks again for the thumbs up.

Nick

Phillip, thanks for the kind words. I like the idea of using the website; I had come to the same conclusion myself a few days ago. I'll give that some more thought. Thanks again for the thumbs up.

Nick

Thumbs up from me too, Book Depository is cheaper for Rep of Ireland residents also!

An interesting man Blacker. Went on to organise and take part in the first ever flight over Everest and to invent the Blacker Bombardier a spigot mortar used by the Home Guard in Britain and the Indian Army in the Western desert and the essential design of which was used in the Piat (Projector Infantry Anti Tank).

An interesting man Blacker. Went on to organise and take part in the first ever flight over Everest and to invent the Blacker Bombardier a spigot mortar used by the Home Guard in Britain and the Indian Army in the Western desert and the essential design of which was used in the Piat (Projector Infantry Anti Tank).

Actually not the same Blacker. They were very distantly related and both from the Blackers of Carrickblacker stock.

NPM

Actually not the same Blacker. They were very distantly related and both from the Blackers of Carrickblacker stock.

NPM

Probably confused by them appearing to have the same initials

Probably confused by them appearing to have the same initials

Close:

Lieutenant Colonel L V S Blacker OBE - of Everest & Blacker Bombardier fame

Lieutenant Colonel S W W Blacker DSO - commanded the 9th Royal irish Fusiliers

Stewart & William were the common names in the family.

• 3 weeks later...

Close:

Lieutenant Colonel L V S Blacker OBE - of Everest & Blacker Bombardier fame

Lieutenant Colonel S W W Blacker DSO - commanded the 9th Royal irish Fusiliers

Stewart & William were the common names in the family.

Nick, just wondering about that photo of D Coy taken in Mouscron 23 Nov 1918, is it available anywhere? Is it under copyright? Cannot see it online!

Hi, it is one of the photos from the Regimental Museum. A number of the other photos from that day that are in the book belong to private individuals.

Nick

Hi, it is one of the photos from the Regimental Museum. A number of the other photos from that day that are in the book belong to private individuals.

Nick

I figured that given the nature of the book individuals would have donated photographs - it seems some folks Grandfathers were less camera shy than others!

• 5 months later...

I bought Blacker's Boys (History of 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers & 9th North Irish Horse) last week, it's a mightily impressive piece of work, very nicely presented in hardback and at over 900 pages it is easily the most comprehensive and detailed battalion history I've ever come across. I don’t normally comment on books so it is testament to this one that it made sufficient impact on me to make the effort. Don't get me wrong, I've read and enjoyed a good many battalion histories, but many of them run to a set format, essentially regurgitating the Battalion War Diary, lacing it with some personal photos, letters and accounts, list of medals and honours, Roll of Honour, list of relevant cemeteries - job done, what more could we ask for?

But… Blacker's Boys goes way beyond that. For starters, there's a comprehensive Roll of Officers providing personal and service details of approx. 250 officers who served with the battalion during the war, similarly there are 380 pages of personal & service histories of non-officer ranks - literally for thousands of men. There are detailed accounts of transfers of men to and from other battalions, lists of former 9th RIF soldiers KIA while serving with other formations and details of Court Martials and other disciplinary proceedings. There is a section of approx 20 maps, detailing various actions and raids involving the battalion, and a chapter of Operation Orders for various movements involving the battalion.

I enjoyed the fact that the author always managed to put the battalion’s movements and actions in context with ongoing events elsewhere. The writing style is engaging and keeps the reader’s attention. I contend that too often in WW1 writing is good composition substituted with academic detail and enthusiasm, but in this instance we get all those laudable attributes in abundance. I hesitate to describe this book as a labour of love in case that suggests something amateur but the sheer volume of information included and the amount of research that must have been undertaken suggest that the subject is very close to the author’s heart.

The only downsides I see are the sheer size and weight of the book and correspondingly the price, approaching the £30 mark which will deter casual purchasers. (In fairness, I had a great-grandfather who served with the 9th RIF, which ensured my purchase – otherwise the price may have deterred me.) In my humble opinion, this magnificent volume should re-set the crossbar as a template for future battalion histories and I highly recommend it, especially to anyone with an interest in the 36th Ulster Division.

I must say that I found the price very reasonable for such a massive (and well bound) tome and which obviously involved hours of work: not only the research - documentry, on individuals and photos - but also the setting. When one considers what 'academic' presses charge for fairly slim tomes with limited photos (usually gathered in plate sections) and often poor or non existent maps, this is excellent value.

Willie and Nigel,

Thank you both very much for your comments.

Nick

You're welcome Nick.

Like I said, I don't generally comment on books and you can see why, I set out to heap praise on a fantastic body of work and probably ended up insinuating that it was over-priced, which it's not. Nigel is totally correct, it is excellent value and should grace the library of anyone interested in WW1.