The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Thomas Yoxall

Cathy

Please could anyone help with further information about this soldier, my Great Uncle. I am not able to go to the PRO and poor eyesight prevents me from getting much information from microfiche records.

Below is an extract from an email from CWGC. I wonder if anyone knows what battle this might have been. I would also like to find out if he was married and/or had children. I have looked to the best of my ability in the index at the County Records Office for a marriage. Do service records hold this information?

Further to your enquiry we record the following which is all the information

we hold on the casualty:

Casualty: Private THOMAS YOXALL, 243507

Served With: 1st Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers

Died: 11th April 1918

Commemorated: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut

Belgium

Panel 4

We also have the additional information from the publication "Soldiers Died

in the Great War", that he was born in Harpurhey, Manchester and enlisted in

Manchester.

I am part of a group involved in a one name study of the surname YOXALL, so if anyone comes across any others, I would be grateful for information.

Thank you

Cathy

Soldiers Died lists 17 Yoxalls that died in the First World War, Mainly they seem to be grouped around Birmingham, Worcs., Cheshire up to Manchester, that sort of area. If you would like the full details from SDGW please don't hesitate to ask

Mark

Cathy,

The 1st LF (86th Brigade; 29th Division) were involved in countering the German Spring Offensive on the Lys in April 1918. Specifically they were with XV Corps opposite Estaires (roughly between Bethune and Armentieres) engaged in the battle of Estaires.

Around 11 am on 11th April the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers (part of the 86th Brigade) were brought up to reinforce the right of the 87th Brigade. They managed to keep the enemy back but by 2 pm the 1st LF had lost 9 out of 11 officers and 300 men. 29 men and 1 officer are given as killed on soldiers/officers died for that day, the others would have been wounded or taken prisoner.

As I am sure you know Pte Yoxall has no known grave and is therefore commemorated upon a memorial to the missing. He may be buried under one of the countless headstones of "A soldier of the Great War known unto god"

You will find more information about the units (Corps, Division, Brigade and Battalion) on the parent site to this forum at http://www.1914-1918.net/. Here you will find a history of the unit in the Great war and some information about their engagements including the Battle of Estaires.

If you need any further information just ask and someone should be able to dig out a little more info for you.

Good luck with the rest his story and the rest of the Yoxalls!