The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Roger H

Not read them yet, but Santa has delivered "a nurse at the front, the First World War diaries of Sister Edith Appleton" and "the final whistle, the Great War in fifteen players". Both look good!

Roger

... and I have just received 'Under the Devil's Eye'. Can't wait to get stuck into it. It is a theatre about which I know very little, despite the fact that one of my grandfathers was there, returning with his health permanently impaired by various unpleasant illnesses.

Jack

Ward's 'History of the 53 ((Welsh) division' plus Rogerson's 'Twelve days on the Somme'.

Bernard

Mrs B gave me a copy of Burnett's The Memoirs of the 18th (Queen Mary's Own) Royal Hussars 1906-1922 Including operations inthe Great War, which is in remarkably good nick, and daughter No. 1 came up with Lest Devon Forgets, by Todd Gray, which is a very interesting gazetteer and history of war memorials in that County.

Interesting one from sister-in-law: Tales of the Great War by Newbolt.Published in 1918, this is interesting because it is a specially-bound Winchester College copy (with Arms on the front), awarded as a School Prize in December 1918. Rather fun; some lovely drawings.

Daughter given us 'Tip and Run' by Edward Paice. Looking forward to reading it slowly, it covers the war in central Africa and highly recommended. Also a couple of autobiographies, not WW1 though. 'Speak swahili dammit' and 'And miles to go before sleep', both about experiences in east Africa.

Happy reading all!

Cheers

Shirley

Ha! You have to put it together on Christmas Day!

Happy update, Speak Swahili Dammit has a surprising and fascinating account of a little boy in Tanzania who describes his father's friendships with ex Afrika Korps servicemen, and references to the Askaris and Schutztruppe, in connection with Paul von Lettow Vorbeck - I love Boxing Day reading!

Cheers all

Shirley

My sons intercepted a series of books that I had ordered before Christmas, which meant I received several presents 'To Dad, from Dad'. My assumption was that the books were caught up in the pre-Christmas post so it was a genuine and very pleasant surprise. Two books are German regimental histories but the third is a reproduction of Friedrich Immanuel's book 'Handbuch der Taktik'. The original was published in 1905. I was worried about the quality, given that many print-on-demand services use optical character recognition to create the text. With plain English text this can lead to multiple anomalies that distract the reader no end. Fraktur script ends up as gobbledy-gook with this process, as was proved when I downloaded the Kindle version of Exerzier-Reglement 1905 recently. But 'Handbuch der Taktik' has been reproduced perfectly. Having skimmed a few key sections, I am looking forward to the rest of the book.

Robert

... and I have just received 'Under the Devil's Eye'. Can't wait to get stuck into it. It is a theatre about which I know very little, despite the fact that one of my grandfathers was there, returning with his health permanently impaired by various unpleasant illnesses.

Jack

Jack

Snap. And like you I know too little about this theatre. Only 2 chapters in so far.

Sadly my hints this year must have been too subtle - not a book in sight!!! Very grateful for what I did get but do love a fresh book to crack and read after Xmas lunch ... never mind, I managed to get everything my good lady hinted at this year for her, so planning Clarkson DVD next year in revenge ...

Have a great New Year

Jim (sulking in shed)

"Fifty Sheds of Grey" and for the life of me I cannot see what all the fuss is about!

A typical passage (if you will pardon the expression)

"I lay back, gazing happily out of the shed window. Despite fears about my inexperience my rhubarb had come up a treat'

Synopsis

'Hurt me!' she begged, raising her skirt as she bent over the workbench. 'Very well,' I replied, 'You've got fat ankles and no dress sense.' Colin Grey's life was happy and simple until the day everything changed - the day his wife read THAT book. Suddenly, he was thrust head-first into a dark, illicit world of pleasure and pain. This is the story of one man's struggle against a tide of tempestuous, erotic desire and of the greatest love of all: the love between a man and his shed. WARNING: This book contains graphic shed-based images. Please don't look if you are easily offended.

Norman

Victoria Pendleton's autobiography.

Did she write it herself?

"Fifty Sheds of Grey" and for the life of me I cannot see what all the fuss is about!

A typical passage (if you will pardon the exp<b></b>ression)

"I lay back, gazing happily out of the shed window. Despite fears about my inexperience my rhubarb had come up a treat'

Synopsis

'Hurt me!' she begged, raising her skirt as she bent over the workbench. 'Very well,' I replied, 'You've got fat ankles and no dress sense.' Colin Grey's life was happy and simple until the day everything changed - the day his wife read THAT book. Suddenly, he was thrust head-first into a dark, illicit world of pleasure and pain. This is the story of one man's struggle against a tide of tempestuous, erotic desire and of the greatest love of all: the love between a man and his shed. WARNING: This book contains graphic shed-based images. Please don't look if you are easily offended.

Norman

Norman

This is supposed to be a serious thread. Although I find it amusing, it is more appropriate to Skindles.

Roger

Shirley, I really enjoyed Tip and Run so I hope you do too (got my copy when I forgot to cancel a Book Club monthly send; one of my better mistakes).

As mentioned elsewhere, brother #1 kindly obliged with David Jones in the Great War, after a hefty hint...

Happy St Stephen's Day everyone,

I got Jack's "1915" book, Doughty's "Pyrrhic Victory, General Trentinians account of the August fighting and an added bonus opf a selection of second hand "surprise" WW1 books from my sister. It should keep me going all year !

I also got Osprey's French Tanks of World War 1 (sic). Good bathtime reading.

Boy Soldiers by Richard Van Emden , pretty good so far, (chapter 5) very imformative and detailed.

Snap! Have not yet started it as I got 7 others! Didn't get "Last Man Standing" though as Santa was unable to get a copy.

Hazel C.

Artillery's Astrologers, by Pete Chesseaud, Linesman 20 and an A3 scanner from myself. Now to get the German Official History maps in Linesman.....

Hello,

I was lucky enough to get copies of the following "Forgotten Victory" The First World War Myths And Realities

"Beneath Flanders Fields" The Tunnellers' war 1914-18 an exceptionally good and imformative read,about halfway through it now.

Also a good condition second hand copy of "War Underground" The Tunnellers Of The Great War.

• Admin

Also a good condition second hand copy of "War Underground" The Tunnellers Of The Great War.

Is that the one by Alexander Barrie? I got hold of htat recently too and it is a cracking read.

I also agree with the comments about Richard Van Emden's "Boy Soldiers"

I got "Old Soldiers Never Die" by Frank Richards DCM MM (Annotated by our very own GRUMPY), "No Finer Courage: The Loss of An English Village" by Mike Senior - the story of a village in Bucks called The Lee, "Forgotten Victory" by Gary Sheffield.

For some alternative reading, I got "No Moon Tonight" by Don Charlwood - the story of a Bomber Command navigator. This was based on the good things said about it on the Forum after Mr Charlwood passed away earlier this year.

Glen

For some alternative reading, I got "No Moon Tonight" by Don Charlwood - the story of a Bomber Command navigator. This was based on the good things said about it on the Forum after Mr Charlwood passed away earlier this year.

Glen

As I suspect I might have been one of those saying good things, I do hope you enjoy it. I think it's a reat book.

• Admin

History of the 12th (Eastern) Divsion in the Great War and The 1st Btn The Wiltshire Regiment in the Great War by Edwin Astill. Gary Sheffields The Chief on order with some money from Santa.

Michelle