The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st/28th London Regt (Artist's Rifles)

Jon Miller

One of the soldiers I am researching died in April 1918 while serving with the above battalion. The War Diary is far from helpful, barely even giving the slightest clue as to where the battalion was. Perhaps if someone has the history, they could pass some extra info in my direction? Such info would be greatly appreciated

Jon,

1/28th Bn, The London Regiment was in 190th Infantry Brigade in 63rd (Royal Naval) Division. In the order of battle of divisions series, the division was in the Bapaume area in late March 1918, and it took part inf the Battle of the Ancre on 5 April. I know this is where the division approximately was, but I hope it gives an impression where the battalion might have been in April 1918.

Wienand

Wienand - thanks for your posting. I didnt know what brigade and division the 28th were part of. As for the battalion's position during April, you have pretty much the same idea as me. Pte Stanbury is buried at Mesnil, and that's about all the clue I have about the area - your bit about the Battle of the Ancre fits in with this. The battalion's whereabouts seems to be quite a hard nut to crack.

According to their history, during April and May 1918 the Artists' were holding the line north of Mesnil and in the Aveluy Wood sector. It gives no other detail.

Charles M

• 2 months later...

I have some details of Artist's Rifles [and 16th Bn. Royal Warwickshire] from my grandfather's journal that might be of interest if anyone still trying to pin down details...he lists a few places and names that might match up with what others are searching for.