The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Truth From The Trenches

kipper

I have my grandfather's copy of the above book by H Drummond Gauld but being a train reader, I do not wish to read this particular copy as I think it might end up in a pretty bad condition - it is 70 odd years old. However, I cannot seem to find any other copy anywhere, including on all the major book sites. Does anybody have any information about this book and why it seems so elusive? I understand it caused quite a fuss when first published, so would have thought that it would now be better known.

It was re published in 1930 by Hutchinson under the title "Scotland Yet !" and both titles are as rare as hens teeth.The book seller Tom Donovan has only had

one copy of each book for sale in the last twelve years and they are the only copies i have seen for sale anywhere in that time.You can see an image of the

dust jacket for "Scotland Yet!" at the great war dust jacket site www.greatwardustjackets.co.uk

Thanks blackmaria. Do you know why it is 'as rare as hen's teeth' as Mr Drummond Gauld does seem to be quite a respected author in other fields? Is it so rare that it should be at the IWM, or regimental museum? It looks like I will have to read my copy and then maybe pass on to a regimental museum or even the IWM.

"Truth from the Trenches " was published by a small company(Stockwell),so i doubt if many copies were sold.I can't say why "Scotland Yet!" is so rare,a lot of

War books were published in 1930,maybe it got a bit swamped by the other memoirs.If the I.W.M or Regimental Museum don't want your copy and you ever

want to sell it,let me know, as i'm still looking for a copy myself!

You're welcome,and thank you for starting the thread.It's encouraging to know that there is at least more than one copy of the book out there.

@Kipper

I hope you come back and tell us what you thought of the book. I mean, with a title like "The Truth from the Trenches", it should be an interesting read indeed.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, or anyone else out there who has read it. I have an interest in memoirs from Scottish battalions. I may not be able to own a copy of it, but there is a copy of it at the National Library of Scotland. However, it's in the reference section, so would need to be read on site. I'd be curious to know, if the effort would be worthwhile.

Anyhoo, hope you enjoy the book and that it stays intact. :)

Cheers

KOF

This is a review from the 6 Sep 1930 Sydney Morning Herald:

Yet another addition to the long list of recent war books is "Scotland Yet!" by Mr. H. Drummond Gauld. Mr. Gauld, who enlisted in a Scottish regiment, begins his record with the Somme in 1916. and fought on the Western front right through until the Armistice. At the outset he warns readers that they may detect a querulous note, and certainly he is very critical at times. His strong dislikes Include other arms of the service when not actually In the line, sergeant majors and officers who occupy deep dugouts. He frequently refers to the better conditions enjoyed by the officers, but, In fairness, It should be remembered that they had heavier responsibilities, and, at any rate in the Junior ranks, suffered heavier casualties than the private soldiers. For the Australians and New Zealanders he has a hearty admiration.

Although Mr. Gauld has his "grouse," he is not a disciple of the "All Quiet" school. He says nothing about the demoralising effect of war and little about its more obvious horrors. What he dwells upon is the physical discomfort, the almost intolerable strain involved in carrying heavy burdens through clinging mud, the incessant fatigue, which had the one advantage In allowing men to sleep in the most unpleasant conditions. Their exertions were the more trying because very often they were on short rations. It Is rather surprising to hear this, as one had always supposed that, except in times of emergency, the British Army was well fed. But Mr. Gauld says that by the time supplies reached the front they had dwindled. (Hutchinson.)

I'm new to the subject but I'm looking to read more from the Scottish perspective. KOF, (or others,) can you recommend a Scottish memoir or two? If I'm hijacking the thread, I'll take it to a new topic.

managed to get a copy of the "truth from the trenches" last year had been looking for one for ages, all Stockwell titles seem to be scarce due to the relatively small print runs

I'm new to the subject but I'm looking to read more from the Scottish perspective. KOF, (or others,) can you recommend a Scottish memoir or two? If I'm hijacking the thread, I'll take it to a new topic.

A few memoirs,letters/ diaries=

"Last Man Standing" ed R.Van Emden, Pen & Sword 2002(Seaforths)

Private Beatson's War ed S Springer & S Humphreys, P&S 2009 (Royal Scots)

Once a Cameron Highlander R.Burns, Woodfield Pub 2000

Private 12768, John Jackson ,Tempus 2004 (Cameron High)

Lionel Southeby's Great War ed D.C Richter ,Ohio Uni Press 1997 (Black Watch)

In Good Company ed D.Fraser, Michael Russell Pub 1990 (Gordon High)

The Tale of Two Captains J.Baynes, Pentland Press 1990 (Cameronians)

March to Armistice 1918 C.Haworth, Kimber 1968 (A&SH)

Scots Guard,W.Ewart, Rich & Cowan 1934

Haunting Years W.L Andrews, Hutchinson 1930 (Black Watch)

And all for What ? D.W.J Cuddeford, Heath Cranton 1933 (H.L.I)

Passchendaele & The Somme H.Quigley, Methuen 1928 (Royal Scots)

Edited by blackmaria

managed to get a copy of the "truth from the trenches" last year had been looking for one for ages, all Stockwell titles seem to be scarce due to the relatively small print runs

Yes,it's a good feeling when you eventually find that elusive title.I finally got an original copy of "Devil in the Drum" a few weeks ago,after years of searching.

I find sometimes though that rare books are a bit like buses,you wait ages (years!),then two or three turn up.

yes i purchased a copy of "Devil in the drum" and "All for what" on the same day 10.00 each proves never stop looking for that elusive book!

yes i purchased a copy of "Devil in the drum" and "All for what" on the same day 10.00 each proves never stop looking for that elusive book!

Did you not try and knock them down to a fiver each? :thumbsup: Seriously though,thats a superb find.

@ ericmsmith

A few memoirs,letters/ diaries=

"Last Man Standing" ed R.Van Emden, Pen & Sword 2002(Seaforths)

Private Beatson's War ed S Springer & S Humphreys, P&S 2009 (Royal Scots)

Once a Cameron Highlander R.Burns, Woodfield Pub 2000

Private 12768, John Jackson ,Tempus 2004 (Cameron High)

Lionel Southeby's Great War ed D.C Richter ,Ohio Uni Press 1997 (Black Watch)

In Good Company ed D.Fraser, Michael Russell Pub 1990 (Gordon High)

The Tale of Two Captains J.Baynes, Pentland Press 1990 (Cameronians)

March to Armistice 1918 C.Haworth, Kimber 1968 (A&SH)

Scots Guard,W.Ewart, Rich & Cowan 1934

Haunting Years W.L Andrews, Hutchinson 1930 (Black Watch)

And all for What ? D.W.J Cuddeford, Heath Cranton 1933 (H.L.I)

Passchendaele & The Somme H.Quigley, Methuen 1928 (Royal Scots)

Wot he said! :)

I might also add the following book, "Scottish Voices from the Great War" by Derek Young. Not a "memoir" as such, more a sampler book of memories from many giving a broader view on the life of Scottish troops. A good wee read I thought.

Cheers

KOF

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if 'Scotland Yet!' is merely a reprint of 'The Truth from the Trenches' or a new book? The blurb on the back of the jacket treats it as a new publication & that it is an example of 'a literature of greater sanity & a wider cultivation'. There is no mention inside of the previous title. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of 'Truth' to compare it with. There is also supposed to be a 2-page forward, possibly mentioning the earlier work, which is missing but no evidence that the pages were ever there. Does anyone else have it in their copy?

• 6 months later...

I'm wondering if 'Scotland Yet!' is merely a reprint of 'The Truth from the Trenches' or a new book? The blurb on the back of the jacket treats it as a new publication & that it is an example of 'a literature of greater sanity & a wider cultivation'. There is no mention inside of the previous title. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of 'Truth' to compare it with. There is also supposed to be a 2-page forward, possibly mentioning the earlier work, which is missing but no evidence that the pages were ever there. Does anyone else have it in their copy?

According to Tom Donovan in his description of Scotland Yet!( in the catalogue with the copy in it that you purchased)it was first published in

1920 under the title " The Truth from the Trenches". After eight years of searching I have finally found a copy of Scotland Yet! which is winging or

should I say floating it's way to me from Australia so in a couple of months I should be able to tell you if my copy has the two page forward.

We may well have the only two copies that exist in private hands!.

I look forward to your copy arriving. Looking at my copy again I see there should also be a piece called ' a souvenir' which is also missing. The text starts at p.13 with chapter 1 - Arrival at the Railhead. Well done on finding a copy. Now we just need to find 'Truth'. I'm sure Tom will unearth it one day.

I hope so, the last copy he had for sale was in January 2003 so he must be due to unearth another soon...Maybe?.

Just received my copy of " Scotland Yet " ( via airmail), it contains the foreword and "a souvenir" which is a poem written by a pal who was killed beside the author at Loos.

The foreword does not mention " The Truth From the Trenches" but I am 99% sure they are the same book, in Tom Donovan's description of "Truth" he says the book starts

from "Arrival at the Railhead" and I note the first chapter of " Scotland Yet" is called "Arrival at the Railhead" and the rest of his description of the contents match the contents

of " Scotland Yet !".

Thanks for that. I guess my copy was bound up without the forward and souvenir. I think I'll contact the publisher and ask for a replacement!!

Thanks for that. I guess my copy was bound up without the forward and souvenir. I think I'll contact the publisher and ask for a replacement!!

:lol:

• 2 months later...

This is a review from the 6 Sep 1930 Sydney Morning Herald:

Yet another addition to the long list of recent war books is "Scotland Yet!" by Mr. H. Drummond Gauld. Mr. Gauld, who enlisted in a Scottish regiment, begins his record with the Somme in 1916. and fought on the Western front right through until the Armistice. At the outset he warns readers that they may detect a querulous note, and certainly he is very critical at times. His strong dislikes Include other arms of the service when not actually In the line, sergeant majors and officers who occupy deep dugouts. He frequently refers to the better conditions enjoyed by the officers, but, In fairness, It should be remembered that they had heavier responsibilities, and, at any rate in the Junior ranks, suffered heavier casualties than the private soldiers. For the Australians and New Zealanders he has a hearty admiration.

Although Mr. Gauld has his "grouse," he is not a disciple of the "All Quiet" school. He says nothing about the demoralising effect of war and little about its more obvious horrors. What he dwells upon is the physical discomfort, the almost intolerable strain involved in carrying heavy burdens through clinging mud, the incessant fatigue, which had the one advantage In allowing men to sleep in the most unpleasant conditions. Their exertions were the more trying because very often they were on short rations. It Is rather surprising to hear this, as one had always supposed that, except in times of emergency, the British Army was well fed. But Mr. Gauld says that by the time supplies reached the front they had dwindled. (Hutchinson.)

Link

Now having read the book I would agree with the review, how those men found the energy and will to carry on is beyond me. I would just add that his unit was the 7/8 K.O.S.B

of 46 Brigade, 15th ( Scottish ) Division and he fought from the Somme in 1916 to the final advance of 1918, interestingly he also fought at the 1918 Battle of the Marne, a

battle that appears in few memoirs. I was also curious about the title that appears after the author's name 'F.S.A Scot' , this I found out means he was a member of the

'Society of Antiquaries of Scotland'.

Interesting that as early as 1930 the reviewer is talking about 'a disciple of the "All Quiet" school'. I hadn't realised that the divergence in tone of memoirs had become so marked, so quickly, as to establish literary schools (however informally) as early as this. I must reread Brian Bond's "The Unquiet Western Front" which is excellent on the cultural shifts in the literature of the war

David

• 3 months later...

I have acquired a copy of 'The Truth from the Trenches' and can confirm that 'Scotland Yet !' is essentially the same book , with some rewording, editing, and some chapters renamed and one chapter moved.

Excellent detective work & congratulations on finding a copy (& thanks for finding me the 'Black Tab' - a fine specimen).