The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Covenant With Death

Roger H

Having read excellent reviews of Covenant With Death by John Harris, I managed to track down a (rather tatty!) copy. I have just finished it and can only say that it was magnificent. The chapters at the end in respect of waiting to go over the top and the actual battle itself are extremely powerful.

If you have not read this book yet, you must do so. I am therefore happy to send my copy to the first person who expresses an interest but on the basis that they in turn offer it up.

Any takers?

Roger

I too have a very tatty copy which i have read a couple of times and will do soon again i recomend any one to take up Roger's offer.john

What, no takers? Everyone must have read it! And I was going to pay for the postage!

Roger

I'm hanging on to a pristine first edition! But I did read the dodgy book club edition that I subsequently flogged for a few quid on Amazon. One of the best great War novels by miles.

Keith

Mine is a 1975 Arrow edition reprint in pretty good nick picked up on a second hand bookstall in Lowestoft. Not parting with it.

cheers Martin B

I'm hanging on to a pristine first edition! But I did read the dodgy book club edition that I subsequently flogged for a few quid on Amazon. One of the best great War novels by miles.

Keith

I have the Hutchinson 1961 edition which even without DJ can reach a nice 3 figures, I'm looking for a signed copy.

Roger, I'll take it....

Not sure now with all the valuations above!!!

PM me your address and I will get it in the post to you tomorrow.

Roger

Roger

Thank you for your offer.

I have sent a PM to you about your offer.

Edit

I see Jane(no pun intended) beat me to it.

Bill

If you are ok with it, I will let seaJane have your address so she can pass it on to you when she has finished with it.

Roger

I have the Hutchinson 1961 edition which even without DJ can reach a nice 3 figures, I'm looking for a signed copy.

I'll sign it if you like. I'm cheap, too.

If you wrote it you can sign it. There is an author who chased me down the drive demanding I allow him to sign his book, I think it was only half in jest.

Bill

If you are ok with it, I will let seaJane have your address so she can pass it on to you when she has finished with it.

Roger

Tha's OK by me and Thanks

Mine is a 1975 Arrow edition reprint in pretty good nick picked up on a second hand bookstall in Lowestoft. Not parting with it.

cheers Martin B

I've got the same paperback edition and wouldn't part with it either.

Edited by MarkTurner

Got your PM Roger and have replied.

Bill I will pass it on when finished with it :)

Jane

I have just posted the book.

Roger

The book has been discussed on the forum once before as I recall. There was some talk of the inaccuracies and the author, which I think missed the point; no other post war novel since the 30s matches it and no one to whom I have recommneded it has offered anything but praise.

I have often thought that if anyone should wish to make THE film about the Great War it would be based on Covenant With Death.

Are you out there anywhere Mr Speilberg?

Jane

I have just posted the book.

Roger

Thank you!

the book that ultimately hooked me on the first world war!!! as to Speilberg.........aaarghhh, it would be doughboys going over the top and Heroically wininng the great war!...god help us from the re-writing of history by Speilberg to suit American tastes................deep breath Rant over, RELAX

Got your PM Roger and have replied.

Bill I will pass it on when finished with it :)

thanks Seajane

Bill

Quick work Roger, it's arrived :)

Quick work Roger, it's arrived :)

Ah, good. I have no doubts that you will enjoy it.

Roger

• 9 months later...

I won a copy of this book in the Sussex WFA raffel last night ! It seems to be the Companion Book Club edition . Thought that I'd do a search to see if the book has been discussed on the GWF. Will add some more once I have read it.

Regards

One of the inspirations for Martin Middlebrook's 'The First Day of the Somme'. Yes there are some inaccuracies (the idea that some Pals Battalions were disbanded after 1st July for example) but it helped to inspire my interest in the war. The heartbreaking final paragraph, describing the little cemeteries dotting the ridge at Serre is marvellous.