The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Covenant With Death

Roger H

If you wrote it you can sign it. There is an author who chased me down the drive demanding I allow him to sign his book, I think it was only half in jest.

A friend who had written a (non- military) book had signed so many copies for friends that he said (only half jokingly) that the unsigned copies would one day be worth more than the signed ones.

First cracked I believe by that about that lying old PM Edward Heath and his book Morning Cloud (which I have long wondered reflected the reputation of that oval cigarette Passing Cloud)!

A friend who had written a (non- military) book had signed so many copies for friends that he said (only half jokingly) that the unsigned copies would one day be worth more than the signed ones.

I think our very own Mr Morse's book on the 9th Sherwood Foresters falls into that category.

I have to say I still find Covenant with Death pretty well un-put-downable. As Mr Filsell says, the author's WW2 genre is pretty good, too - Swordpoint (a river crossing in Italy) is also a ruddy good read. Most of his work is essentially pulp fiction, but pulp fiction of quality.

I have long taken the view that the only worthwhile novels about the War were those written from personal experience. The highest praise I can give to Harris is that I assumed him to be a much older man who had written a roman à clef.

My own paperback copy disintegrated about 35 years ago - I am inspired to acquire another now.

My recollection is a bit hazy - I seem to recall thinking that the book was based on the Sheffield City Battalion ?

Harris was a newspaper reporter in Sheffield and the story is largely based on the Sheffield City Battalion with elements of the Accrington Pals thrown in. Some of the placenames are only thinly disguised e.g Blackmires instead of Redmires. The setting of the final attack is clearly the ridge at Serre.

• 6 months later...

According to Amazon's website, this is due to be reissued in paperback early next year.

the author's WW2 genre is pretty good, too - Swordpoint (a river crossing in Italy) is also a ruddy good read. Most of his work is essentially pulp fiction, but pulp fiction of quality.

Thank you, I have been racking my brains for the title of this book. Just ordered a signed 1st ed off ABE.

I first read this book at the tender age of thirteen, and was rather shocked by a reference to a certain feature of the female anatomy, during a bawdy exchange between the volunteers when they were still undergoing training in England.

When I re-read the book nearly fifty years later I was intrigued to find out whether my memory had played tricks (not for the first time) or was that lewd mention still there. It was not, so either a have, as I've long suspected, less marbles than I used to have, or the publishers of the reprinted version saw fit to remove this passage, as the rest of the dialogue between the characters is pretty tame by the standards of real soldiers, I would imagine.

Covenant with Death

Recently re-issued in a WW1 centenary edition and available on Amazon at £7.66.

Mike.

Covenant with Death

Ooops, release date this book 26th March 2015, my error.

Mike.

Picked it up for a quid in West Wales in paperback and its signed! :w00t:

Don't you just love opening a cheap book and finding the authors handwritten name. Although I did put down a signed copy of Monica's Story, I thought the hand that held that pen....yeuch!

I picked it up and thought, how much is this going to cost. To see £1 in pencil was a bonus, as the book budget went on beer in the pub up the road.

Newport, Pembroke. Lovely place!