The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 U boat books

RobL

Looking for a general history of the WW1 U boat campaign - any reccomendations please?

Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob

A little off the beaten track for an "RFC" man and a "Zepp Raider", but I do have a copy of Find and Destroy: Antisubmarine Warfare in World War I by Dwight R. Messimer on my bookshelf. It's an American book, published by the Naval Institute Press in 2001.

I've only skimmed it over the years (I had a brief flirtation with Otto Weddigen and U9 at the time!) but it looks pretty comprehensive. In fact, I will be revisiting this book regarding my growing interest into British rigid and non-rigid airships.

Best wishes

David

PS: "Respect" from a fellow Leefe Robinson fan for your post concerning the Great War Society's recent visit to the great man's grave on the anniversary of his death.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=189190

Thanks David, hadn't spotted that one so added to the list.

Regarding William Leefe Robinson's grave, it's something the group has done before back in 2010 but didn't manage it in 2011, we hope to make it an annual occurence though, a number of us are passionate about the Royal Flying Corps, and he's a hero of mine so it's good to take the time to pay our respects and lay a wreath showing to other visitors he is thought about still

Rob

There's The U-Boat Offensive 1914-1945 by V E Tarrant, ISBN 0 85368 928 8, which covers the campaigns in both conflicts, and gives a good account of Great War operations, plus successes and losses .

The Killing Time by Edwyn A Gray, ISBN 0 330 24285 7, was written some 40 years ago, but is a reasonable general account.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Hah yes, thanks Gareth. I recently read the U-boat Offensive (from local library) but couldn't remember the name of the book. Thought it was a very good read at the time.

naval matters aren't my normal area of interest but recently read these 2 books which give the other side of the U-Boat campaign in Irish waters and found them quite readable

Danger Zone : The Queenstown Command by Edward Keeble Chatterton

My Mystery Ships by Admiral Campbell