The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help needed identifying medal ribbons

Gary Samson

I picked up this photo of a Second Lieutenant at a boot fair this morning. I think this is an officer of the 22nd or 24th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (The Queen's). The cap badge is slightly different from the Paschal Lamb of The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey), the pole continues down to the scroll and the flag itself is more of a double pennant (I'm sure there's a technical term for this). Does that sound right for identification? Incidentally, he also has three wound stripes on his left cuff. I'll post a close up of the badge next.

Gary

post-1-1093874666.jpg

And here's a close up of the medal ribbons he's wearing. Any ideas what these might be? The middle ribbon looks a Military Medal but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to identifying ribbons.

Gary

post-1-1093875054.jpg

Hi Gary

Nice picture, was it a bargain?

Medal ribbons mmm always photograph a bit strange in B/W first one could be Indian General Service 1908 onwards Green with central Navy stripe or could be General Service Medal 1918 onwards sort of a dark aubergine with a central Dark Green stripe no doubts about the next two M.M. for bravery in the field and the ribbon of a 1914 or 1914/15 Star.

I take it there are no details on the back?

Regards

Paul.

That's what I would say, Armyofficer. MM and (one of the Stars) are clearly evident, dating this from at least 1917 and indicating that he was commissioned from the ranks; and the right-most ribbon looks like a red with a darker central stripe, so given it's position almost certainly a DCM.

Can't be too many 1918-ish 2/Lts with both DCM and MM to their name, and those who held one of the Stars, so he should be identifiable provided you have some idea as to the regiment - which you have.

Rchard

Most Likely as suggested.......All I find are Des O'Connor LPs!!!!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, guys. I must admit I don't usually find much at the local boot fairs and it wasn't until I'd got the photo home and had a good look at it under a magnifying glass that I realised it was something out of the ordinary, especially as the MM ribbon was in the middle of the group. A handwritten inscription on the reverse dated June 1918 seems to identify the officer as 'Johnnie' and another scribbled note that he was Best Man at a wedding in 1920 confirms he survived the war. I'll enjoy researching this one.

Gary

DOHHHHHH!

I new that 9th Guinness was one over the eight :D

Of course it is a DCM before the MM.

As mentioned cannot be many DCM/MM's commisioned from the Ranks.

Please let us know who he turns out to be.

Regards

Paul

Just a thought.

2nd Lieutenant rank is on his cuff, when did this cease 1914?

Could he be a Boer war DCM/MM winner?

Very interesting! Keep us posted on this one.

Regards

Paul.

I thought that, re. the cuff insignia in 1918: but could be his parade/walking out jacket, since many officers wore OR tunics at the Front. I don't think cuff insignia was formally abolished until after the War, but I stand to be corrected.

The MM was not instituted until 1916 and was only awarded retrospectively to 1914. Also, no other campaign medals to indicate possible award of DCM during Boer War etc., so almost certainly both awards earned in WW1.

Richard

Could he be a Boer war DCM/MM winner?

Sorry Paul

The MM was instituted on the 25th March 1916, so not possible I am afraid, in addition he has wound stripes that were also introduced in 1916.

Cheers.

John