The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

major G.C.F harcourt-vernon D.C.O

andrew wilbraham

HI,

major harcourt-vernon was in charge of my great-grandfathers battalion as they marched out of lagnicourt-marcel on the day he was wounded and later died. i would like to find out a little more about the major. there are no records on cwgc so i am guessing he survived the war

any help would be gratefully received

andrew

Andrew,

This is a bit spooky, whilst reading "The Imperial War Museum Book of the Somme" (sorry forgot who wrote it) I noticed the name Harcourt Vernon and made a note of it because the name is connected to Masham North Yorkshire near where I live.

Hopefully someone on the forum has the book, I borrowed the one I read from a friend but on page 34 there is a letter from a Lt. Neville Woodroffe, 1st Irish Guards where it is mentioned Harcourt Vernon being wounded in Sept. 1914.

I was just looking at it today thinking I'll have to get around to looking him up.

Was your Gt. Grandfather in the Irish Guards?

Roger.

hi,

my gt grandfather was in the 2nd battalion grenadier gaurds, harcourt-vernon was in command of the battalion on the attack towards orival wood and graincourt sept 27th 1918

andrew

Hello again Andrew

Granville Charles FitzHerbert HARCOURT-VERNON

Born 1891. Entered Army 1912; commissioned Grenadier Guards. Lieutenant, 2nd Bn. BEF, August 1914. Wounded September 1914. Captain, 2nd Bn. June 1916 - November 1918. Wounded May 1916. Awarded DSO, MC and also MiD.

I'm pretty sure I have a picture of Harcourt-Vernon but I'm away from my notes at the moment!

Have you had any luck tracking down your great-grandfathers medals?

Best wishes

Ed

ed ( mr reliable)

thanks for your help AGAIN!, i am afraid i have had no luck tracking his medals down i have resigned myself to the fact that we will never be reunited!

andrew

Andrew

Don't give up! At least you know they're out there somewhere......

Did you try e-mailing the chap who bought your g-grandfathers button stick on E-Bay? Might be worth a try if you haven't.

Either way, I'll keep an eye out.

Best wishes

Ed

PS: One further thought....you can advertise your medal wants for free with fellow PAL Derek Robertson - there is a thread under the "Sales, wants swaps..." section.