The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/6th Bn London Regt / 47th Division

Guest Neil Daly

Guest Neil Daly

Currently carrying out research on 1/6 Bn. My great great uncle served with them until he was killed in Sept 15th 1916 at Highwood on the Somme. He was awarded the DCM in May 1916, i have a copy of the sitation but have no idea where or exactly when his act of bravery took place. Any information about the Regt/Bn would be appreciated. Do they have there own Web site?? :(

Neil,

Please check regiments.org for a history of the battalion from its origin in 1860 until 1961. On this website you will find an overview of the battalions moves and actions during the Great War.

Wienand

Neil - in May 1916 the 47th Division were at the Northern end of Vimy Ridge. There was a period of intense trench fighting with mines being exploded under our lines by the Germans and vice versa. I would guess that he probably won the DCM in one of these actions. Further sources that will cover these are:

* 'The Cast Iron Sixth' - history of the 6th Londons

* The history of the 47th (London) Division, ed Alan H Maude pub c 1923

* the official history - 1916 Volume 1

Affordable reprints of the first two should be available from the publishers Naval & Military Press, as well as via sellers such as Ray Westlake. (please note that I have no connection with either, other than as a satisfied customer).

Also of course the 1/6th war diary in the PRO. (As a DCM winner it is possible that he will be mentioned.)

regards

Charles

Hello Neil, welcome to the forum

I have no doubt that a London Regiment expert will tell us in detail, but from memory I believe the Division remained in the Loos area until well into 1916.

By May 1916 it was in the Vimy Ridge area, where it was involved in a defensive action against a strong enemy attack. This is quite possibly where he won the DCM.

The complete story of this action can be found on the Long, Long Trail. Click here to see it

Hi

The 6th was to the right (east) of High Wood and at 8.32 a.m. on the 15th advanced from a trench called Flag Lane to capture a German strongpoint called Cough Drop some 500 yards further on. As they advanced they were under fierce fire but managed to occupy the German post and a few soldiers then set out for Flers Trenches 800 yards to the north-east. However, they did not get there. Cough Drop was holding out and efforts were made to link up with the New Zealanders further east which they managed by nightfall.

Ron