The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Absent Voters Lists

SMG65

Does anyone know the date that the Absent Voters Lists were compiled?

Hi,

Sorry i can not tell you the exact date; some time in 1918, i think, but there is another recent forum thread about the AVL's which does i'm sure.

The only AVL i have looked at in any depth is the one for Grimsby and Cleethorpes. These lists were supposed to be official and compiled by the men themselves. However on the above list i have found many men listed who had in fact already died.

I think that members of the mens family entered their details in a forlorn hope of finding out some information about loved ones who had been listed missing or were perhaps POW. The earliest year of death for a name on this list that i have found is 1915, which i found quite incredible and rather moving.

Regards,

Steve.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

My researches have led me to the conclusion that there were 2 iterations of AVLs, drawn up in March 1918 and March 1919. The individual soldier had to fill in a form and there was also data drawn from what families put on their registration form.

SMG65

I half answered this question yesterday on another thread: click here.

It appears that data collection closed about 8 weeks before publication.

As well as those with publication dates of Oct 1918, April 1919 and Oct 1919, I have also seen AVLs for Fulham in 1920 (in the London Met Archives) and Bermondsey in 1920 (in Southwark Local studies library). Thats at least 4 editions. I have a funny feeling that I may have seen one for 1921.

The october 1919 an later editions are obviously pretty anorexic compared with the first two editions.

Charles