The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Johnny: The Legend and Tragedy of General Sir Ian Hamilton

keithmroberts

Has anyone read this book? I would appreciate some thoughts on how it compares to the earlier book by John Lee.

Keith

I also received it and have glanced through the Gallipoli section this morning. I will review it later, but the words 'indescribably bad' 'shallow' and plain 'ignorant' all leap to mind. His guru on war is Basil Liddell Hart!!!! John Lee may have 'gone native' and fallen for Hamilton's manly charms but his book is immeasurably superior.

Pete

I think I'll save my money then. Thank you gents. I will however be more than interested to read your reviews. John Lee's book is on the shelf waiting to be read along with a few other volumes - I'll get to it soon.

Keith

John Lee's book is on the shelf waiting to be read along with a few other volumes - I'll get to it soon.

Celia Lee's 'companion' volume "A Soldier's Wife", on Jean, Lady Hamilton, is also an interesting read.

Didn't Moorehead write a popular Gallipolli history? Didn't he give a reasonable portrait of Hamilton?

I take it that we're discussing the new John Philip Jones' biography ......I had thought about treating myself but will wait to read the reviews first.

Learnt a great deal from John Lee's Ian Hamilton biography.

Regards

Michael Bully