The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Possible Accrington Pals Photo

wellsms

The Photo below has the words "W C Pals Penknife Camp " McCall, 10 Kenyon Street, Acc" and 9th Border Rgt" on it ... see second post

Samuel McCall of 10 Kenyon Street Accrington is listed on the CWGC as a Corporal of the 11th East Lancs who died 6th September 1918. MIC says CPL and gives 2 service numbers, both East Lancs. Accrington AVL also lists him as CPL.

Simple question, given the details onthe back of the postcard.. and the way that they are written, is this a photo that includes Samuel, or is a 9th Border photo to him?

Any suggestions/info welcomed.

thanks

Mike

post-2-1093967049.jpg

The rear of the card.

As an additional comment... I've tried blowing up the cap badges but can't really tell from that

post-2-1093967210.jpg

Definately East Lancs Regiment in the photo. I don't know the relevance of "9th Border" as the Samuel McCall of Accrington only served in the East Lancs (as 15245 and, later,as 242643). There was , however another Samuel McCall who served in the Border Regiment. This was Pte.12723, who later transferred to the RAMC.

The "9th Border" on the back of the card looks to have been written at a different time in a different pencil, if this of any help.

Dave.

Have you tried this website Accrington Pals.

The Accrington Pals appeared to have used a camp called Penkridge Camp(see the training section - could this be the wording on the card?).

It doesn't appear to look like Border regiment cap badges

Dave

Thanks for the reply, I was sure you'd be interested.

Spike

Thanks - I didn't know about Penkridge. I'm not sure if it is Penkridge with the 'd' missing, or Penknife as a play on words given the "WC Pals", but either will probably mean that you're right and that it is Penkridge Camp.

cheers

Mike

will probably mean that you're right and that it is Penkridge Camp.

I don't know of a "Penknife camp", but the full title of the other was actually "Penkridge Bank Camp" , near Rugeley in Staffordshire. The huts in the background look typical of those in confirmed photos of this camp, but then again, they also look the same as tose taken at Ripon and Hurdcott (along with thousands of others).

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a mail from Andrew Jackson (owner of the Pals webiste linked above), and he's pretty sure the photo is of some of W Company of the Accrington Pals at Penkridge... so no play on words / private jokes just a straight description of what it is.

If I find out anymore I will keep you informed.

cheers

Mike