The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

DCM and 'merit Medal'?

Desmond7

Tried search on forum using 'Meritorious Service Medal' but got no joy .... any quick answers? Is this a medal, certificate or what?

Des :(

Ballymena Observer, June 21, 1918

Double honour

Regimental Quartermaster Sgt. Samuel Cumming, RIR, son of Mr. Thomas Cumming of Bottom, Ballymena has been granted the Meritorious Service Medal. The recipient of the honour enlisted at the outbreak of war and went to the front with the Ulster Division. Previous to enlistment he was in office of Mr. J. K. Currie, Solicitor, Ballymena.

And :-

12/18926 R.Q.M.S. Samuel Cumming, RIR has been awarded the distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. The announcement of two such awards in so short a time is a unique record.

Phew, Hugh - that was fast!

Many thanks ... now you can see why I'm a Lt. Col. ..... I post plenty of questions! :D

Cheers

Des

Tried search on forum using 'Meritorious Service Medal' but got no joy .... any quick answers? Is this a medal, certificate or what?

Des :(

Ballymena Observer, June 21, 1918

Double honour

Regimental Quartermaster Sgt. Samuel Cumming, RIR, son of Mr. Thomas Cumming of Bottom, Ballymena has been granted the Meritorious Service Medal. The recipient of the honour enlisted at the outbreak of war and went to the front with the Ulster Division. Previous to enlistment he was in office of Mr. J. K. Currie, Solicitor, Ballymena.

And :-

12/18926 R.Q.M.S. Samuel Cumming, RIR has been awarded the distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. The announcement of two such awards in so short a time is a unique record.

Your Sergeant was awarded the DCM in the LG of 3:09:1918[Citation],under the name of "CUMMINS";the MSM is I think listed in the MSM Book on page 97 RQMS S.Cumming,1918

Harry - Top class. If it needs to be said again .. let it be said:-

FORUM shoots FORUM scores!

No bleedin' wonder we're recruiting a 4th Btn!

Cheers Des

Sorry .. 5th Btn. and to add ..

Cumming MUST have gone on to do exams etc because the name is famous in local circles as a firm of solicitors.

• 2 months later...

Desmon, I am a bit at a loss with some of the facilities - but tonight received your message - keyed into soldiers and think this is the thread you wanted me to look at - but now I am lost - please explain why this would help.

Thanks

Kathie