The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9/R. Highlanders

roger

Does anyone have any idea when a soldier of 9/Black Watch with a regimental no. of S/27717 might have joined up or went to France?

No date of entry is specified on his MIC

Thanks,

Roger.

Hi Roger,

Most of the men who landed at Boulogne with the Battalion on 8 July 1915 had four digit numbers with an S prefix. I have a BWM/Vic. Pair to Pte. William Dickson, 9th R.Highrs. who was killed in action March 1918 whose number was S-21330. I also have a BWM to Pte. John Ewing S-20358, KIA July 1917; and a pair to William Frizzell, S-25282, killed in action August 1918. Most of these lads seem to have arrived in France from mid 1917 onwards. This isn't definate and I don't think this block of numbers was unique to the 9th but hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Derek

Roger,

I meant to ask if you could post the soldier's details. I'd be interested to see them.

Derek

Thanks for the reply Derek. The soldier in question is;

S/27717 Pte James P Holywood

I have his Victory medal. It was given to me by a workmate when I was based in Faslane. He told me he'd got it from a secondhand shop and it used to adorn his motorcycle jacket. :o

He isn't on the CWGC site so I take it he survived. I did a bit of tentative research on the Scotlands People site and I believe he was from Kilmarnock but thats all I've got.

Roger.

Roger,

SDGW gives only 2 BW casualties with S/277xx numbers - 27703 DOW on 15 Nov 18 and 27744 KIA on 6 Sep 18. Both 9th Bn. Probably suggests 277xx men are late war recruits.

Jock

Roger

I have check my lists and find any that died between no's 27005 and 28658 all died in 1918.

However 28673 was published wounded in 1917

Fred