The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L/Cpl W J Turner - remembered on GWF

Stephen Nulty

L/Cpl William James TURNER, 5378 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queens Bays), who died on 01.09.14. Baron Communal Cemetery, France

One of the early casualties of the Great War, also buried at Baron are the following from Queens Bays who also fell that day.

Pte H Collins, 4205

Pte H Comerford, 780

Pte A Farmer, 3514

Pte W Norton, 4941

Pte G Parkhouse, 7859

Pte H Richardson, 5438

Cpl J Turner, 5947

The action was probably "The Affair at Nery", in which the German 4th Cavalry Division ran into the 1st Cavalry Brigade, in the mist of the early morning.

SDGW states........

Private William James TURNER, 5378

Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry & Imperial Camel Corps)

2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays)

Born - Aldershot

Enlisted - London

Residence - Clapham Junction

Died of wounds - 1/9/14, France & Flanders

I may well do some extrra digging around on this chap, as I collect medals & papers etc to men named Turner (that's me!)

From the little red book I use to work out which regiment was where... it looks like Williams Btn was in the thick of it from day one, all the way through to July 1919 when they went to Palestine. If anyone has any info on what the Btn were doing around this time, I'd be interested to hear.

Les.

Also killed on 1st September 1914 in "The Affair at Nery" was Lt Claude Norman Champion de Crespigny, 2nd Dragoon Guards.

His dad, Baronet Claude Champion de Crespigny arranged for the body of his son to be repatriated to the UK and young Claude is buried in Hatfield Peverel, Essex.

Jimmy