The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Location of dressing stations, field hospitals

chrisaustin

TEW, 

I have revisited the thread from last year. Firstly, NLS do not have a sheet 11 map, so apologies for stating it was available.. The adjacent east Sheet 12 is available. 

The fix for not having sheet 11 was to plug the sheet 11 references into a site called "Great War British Trench Map Coordinates Converter This gave the location on Google maps. I have have taken the 8 ARAP locations + the Car Stand, used the converter to find there location, then manually added them to a Google map of today. The location of the ARAP's which start M & S are on sheet 12, adjacent to the east to sheet 11 as you noted. They seems to far away from the gun position. So the remaining 4 ARAP's + the Car Stand have the following distances and direction from the last known gun position. 

11.x.21.c.8.7     4km west from gun position, by current airfield - to far away ?

11.x.5.b.8.0      1Km SSW from gun position - 2nd farthest away from gun position.

11.x.5.a.9.3       900m SW from gun position - 3rd nearest 

11.x.6.a.9.9       650m due south of gun position - closes location.

11.x.6.a.30.65   Car stand - 650m southish of gun position.

So is it likely my GF would have 1st gone to 11.x.6.a.9.9 and then to the car stand, which was 400 m along the same road ? I know we will never know, but I am looking at possibilities. 

Thank, 

RAN

Ran

I had a nosey about on ancestry and found a fairly decent partial map of sheet 11. It does at least show R.36.a and the X map refs for the ARAPs.

It is a cobbled together 1st Division map circa June 1917 showing the various camps around Coxyde. It is a composite of Sheets 11 & 12. Not all the map square numbers are given but it's fairly straight forward to work the numbering out.

If you look at where it says 'Reference sheets 11 & 12' the second E of reference is on the dividing easting for the two sheets. In other words, REF is on sheet 11 but ERENCE is on sheet 12, hope that makes sense.

R.36a is where it says DUPOney. X5 and X6 are immediate south of squares R35 and R36 so your distances seem pretty good with X.6.a.9.9 being the closest ARAP. The only information missing is whether the ARAPs were specific to a particular artillery brigade/battery. More than likely the ARAPs were located at a safe distance away but were intended for the closest artillery to their position. What you've said about going to the post and car stand in X.6.a makes perfect sense.

Link to map

TEW