The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who's writing a Roll of Honour for your town/village for 100th ann

potty5

Hi, just thought I would post this in the forum regarding the number of budding authors who are writing a Roll of Honour for their town/village etc for the 100th anniversary. Hopefully forum members may have photos to help out the authors searching for photos. I will kick off with my own effort which is titled WHERE THE FALLEN LIVE FOREVER - ON THE GREAT WAR MEMORIALS OF CREWE & NANTWICH. I have been writing it for 5 years and have 1,186 men in the book. Of these I have 417 photos of them and 313 service records. Over to you!!!

I'm researching the men commemorated on the War Memorials in Dudley, Gornal and Sedgley.

Maybe a website one day...

As stated to the left & below, the county and island of Anglesey, about a thousand names. Might even get it in print in the next couple of years or so (given time...I've only been at it since 1973...)

Clive

I have done Coventry Roll of Honour 3500 men 1500 photos since 2009 I have added six photos. You may get to a point where you have exhausted all printed works, but need to reach out to the families...

I'm covering the Borough of Bracknell Forest in Berkshire, approximately 500 names

Possibly to be followed by the private schools in the borough, and then Wellington College.

Andrewr

Tharkin,

I can't seem to send you a PM.

Rifleman 4943 C E D Philpott, 1st KRRC:

This chap is on Dudley's War memorial, but I have no date of death for him. Supposedly resident at 55 Freeman St, Coventry.

Can you oblige?

I am planning something on two tiny hamlets in Kent, Brenzett and Snargate. More of a pamphlet than a book.

John,

There is a Pension Record for him on ancestry. He has been in the Army since 1902 and was discharged on 8.10.15 - "Discharged, termination of service"

Employed as an Officer's servant and signaller.

He had been wounded in 1914 but was posted again to 5/KRRC (depot/training unit in the UK) before the end of the year.

Possible death: Phillpot, Edward C D, Q3/1917, Dudley, Staffs, age 34

Andrewr

With 3 forenames that must be him, Andrew.

Hopefully tharkin can give me an exact date and burial place...?

Thanks!

2 local villages - 25 chaps and looking to expand my research to a further 4 villages time permitting - struggling to write up what I have though - more discipline required from me I think.

Has been very rewarding and have managed to capture the interest of a few friends and family.

Ant

at 55 Freeman Street Coventry lived

EDWARDS, Second Lieutenant, John Wesley, MC. 1st /1st , Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars (Worcester Yeomanry). Killed in action, 8th November, 1917. Age 27. Son of John Wesley Edwards, of 55, Freeman Street, Coventry. Grave Ref. XIX. D. 11. Gaza War Cemetery, Israel.

Perhaps John had a lodger......

at 51

NAUNTON, Private, Ernest William. 16730, 1/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, 12th October, 1916. Born 10th January, 1898 at London. Resided 51, Freeman Street. Engineer’s Apprentice. Enlisted Coventry. Born Bethnal Green, Middlesex. Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B. Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

Philpotts name did not appear in the 1927 Roll of Honour for Coventry nor in local obit's. I have two Philpott but not this one

Do you have these men from Dudley. i have a few photos.

On the off-chance I will look through the photos of the Rudge to see if Rifleman Philpott was employed there

BODIN, Lance Corporal ,Walter. 2912, 1st/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment .Died of wounds, 4th September, 1916 received in action, 19th August. Died fighting side by side with his brother, Bert. Son of Mrs. Allen (late Mrs. Bodin) of 129, Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry formerly 28, George Street. Born 1st December, 1894, at Dudley. Resided at 28, George Street. Enlisted Coventry, October, 1914. Apprentice-printer, Messrs Caldicott and Feltham. Commemorated War Memorial Park. Grave Ref. Plot X. Row B. Grave 8a. Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

HUMPAGE, Private, Arthur. 2103, 1/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, 17th February, 1916. Age 26. Son of Edward and Annie Humpage of 26, Prince Albert Street, Dudley. Born Dudley, Staffs. Enlisted Coventry. Grave Ref. I. D. 19. Foncquevillers Military Cemetery, France.

PETFORD, Private, John. 10949, 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. Killed in action, 12th November, 1917. Born Wolverhampton. Enlisted Dudley, Worcs. Resided Coventry. Grave Ref. I. D. 13. Messines Ridge British Cemetery, Belgium.

ROUND, Private, Howard. 2404, 1/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, Pozieres, 25th July, 1916 bringing in a wounded man. Born 4th April, 1896 at Dudley. Resided at Whoberley. Draughtsman, Messrs. Harper, Son and Bean, Dudley. Enlisted 3rd September, 1914 at Coventry. Educated Bablake School. Commemorated Bablake School Memorial. Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B. Thiepval Memorial, France. Photo good deal of info

WOOLLEY, Private, Ernest Thomas. 9375, 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. Killed in action, 24th October, 1914. Age 27. Brother of Mrs. A. M. Sutton, of 85, Cromwell Street, Red Lane, Coventry. Born Dudley. Enlisted Dudley. Memorial Ref. Panel 34. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

YAPP, Private, Allen. 3035, 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Accidentally killed, 8th February, 1915 by a passing train at a railway, Steenwerck. Born 17th December, 1876 at Dudley. Resided at 42, Hope Street. Cycle finisher, Machine Shop, Rudge Works. Enlisted September, 1914. Leaves a widow and a child. Grave Ref. 3. La Creche Communal Cemetery, France. photo

AndrewR

I am sure a book is currently being written by one of the masters of Wellington College called Public Schools in the Great War. They send out a questionnaire to public schools last July for completion. PM me if you want to know more

Potty5 do you have

BRYAN, Company Sergeant Major, Richard Hammond, DCM. 242363, 2/6th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action, 27th July, 1918. Age 42. Husband of Harriet Ann Bryan, of 7, Madeley Street, Crewe, Cheshire. Born at St. Thomas's, Dublin. Resided at Coventry. Enlisted Crewe. Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, 17th April, 1918 for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an attack when all his company officers had become casualties, he took command and rallied his men with admirable coolness. Totally indifferent to danger, he walked about within twenty yards of the enemy position under intense machine gun fire and eventually withdrew the company in a most skilful manner. He has on all occasions displayed great coolness and devotion to duty. Grave Ref. IV. A. 7. Berlin South-Western Cemetery, Germany. (Moved from original burial, 1924- 1925).

PARSONAGE, Private, Fred Waldensian. 15667, 3rd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. Died of wounds, 8th July, 1916 . Age 25. Son of Thomas Henry and Mary Ann Parsonage. Born Crewe. Enlisted Coventry. Resided Crewe. Grave Ref. L. D. M18. Hastings Cemetery, Sussex.

WARD, Sergeant, Cyril Arthur Morris. 8142, 1st Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment. Killed in action, Festubert, 9th May, 1915. Age 26. Son of Arthur James and Sarah Ann Ward. Husband of Lily Jones (formerly Ward), of 12, Peel Street, Crewe. Born 29th October, 1889 at Gosford Green, Coventry. Enlisted Coventry. Resided Crewe. Machinist. Grave Ref. II. B. 6. Rue-Petillon Military Cemetery, Fleurbaix, France.

I have been researching those named on the war memorial in Backford church, near Chester and hope to publish my work in our next volume of local history, scheduled for end of this year. There are 12 names and I have been able to contact descendants of several of them, who have kindly provided photographs. All bar two lived or worked in the parish and it leaves me wondering who drew up the list of names, and on what basis ? Some units are incorrectly recorded and one name - Leonard Blurton - seems to have no connection whatsoever with the area, unless I have missed some vital clues ! There ARE two Leonard Blurtons listed on the CWGC website but both are very clearly in Derbyshire and Staffordshire and I am at a loss to understand why this name appears on our memorial. Any ideas ?

(I've also researched those named on our WW2 memorial, where surprisingly there are as many as on the WW1 memorial)

Michael

There ARE two Leonard Blurtons listed on the CWGC website but both are very clearly in Derbyshire and Staffordshire and I am at a loss to understand why this name appears on our memorial. Any ideas ?

May well have been working in the area for a while and attended the church. 1911 census has two men of this name - one a waggoner, the other a gardener.

• Admin

All bar two lived or worked in the parish and it leaves me wondering who drew up the list of names, and on what basis ? Some units are incorrectly recorded and one name - Leonard Blurton - seems to have no connection whatsoever with the area, unless I have missed some vital clues ! There ARE two Leonard Blurtons listed on the CWGC website but both are very clearly in Derbyshire and Staffordshire and I am at a loss to understand why this name appears on our memorial. Any ideas ?

Michael

This has been covered many times before; a forum search will throw up many threads or simply have a browse through the Cemeteries and Memorials sub-forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=19 (this is in Book Reviews!).

In brief most of the records as to the criteria applied by Parish Councils are now lost, but as with all local records judicious digging can turn up some jewels.

If it's a Church (as opposed to Parish) memorial there may be some information in the the Church Records; if Parish perhaps the Parish Council records which may have been lodged at the County Record Office. Records would have been kept as to the cost/supply etc of the memorial and if local then there may be some information with the local stonemason.

Sometimes with Churches it was if the casualty attended the Sunday School, every community set their own criteria. Most invited residents to put names forward - not everyone wanted the name included (often on religious grounds i.e. idolatry - in one town the Town Memorial Committee collapsed due to pressure from non-conformists who wanted a more tangible monument); sometimes, no doubt, because of raw grief and very often it was political. A grandparent, or other close relative might put forward a name, who would turn them down if they were respected members of the Church? There will probably be a connection but it may be quite obscure.

As for the units, again this was not official but was put forward by the relatives so if he joined the 5th Flintshires a later transfer might be ignored.

Ken

Thank you John and Ken for your comments,

We know exactly how much the memorial cost, as funds were raised by public subscription to pay for it (and for another, now lost, in a small non-conformist chapel in the parish), also for a Book of Remembrance and to establish a scholarship fund which still exists. Unfortunately the PCC records shed no light on the mechanism by which names were selected but we know, from my research, that most lived in, or had family connections with, the parish. The only Blurton family in 1911 was in Stockport and had origins in Staffordshire. There ARE 2 Blurtons near Chester in 1901 - from Staffs and Derbys but neither was a Leonard (and one was aged 54 !). Our memorial gives his unit as RFA whereas the two Leonards in CWGC were with Grenadier Guards and King's Royal Rifle Corps (this one is commemorated on the Doveridge memorial at St Cuthbert's church). I've been though all medal cards for Blurtons serving in the RFA and found two - but the names were Charles and Bernard Joseph. I've also looked for Burton as the name is out of alphabetic sequence and follows Bowker, but again have drawn a blank. Although the memorial itself lists only 'L Blurton RFA' the Book of Remembrance records him as Pvte Leonard Blurton, Royal Field Artillery. There may be a connection, Ken, but if so it must be a very obscure one and has so far eluded my powers of detection !

Michael

I have been researching those named on the war memorial in Backford church, near Chester and hope to publish my work in our next volume of local history, scheduled for end of this year. There are 12 names and I have been able to contact descendants of several of them, who have kindly provided photographs. All bar two lived or worked in the parish and it leaves me wondering who drew up the list of names, and on what basis ? Some units are incorrectly recorded and one name - Leonard Blurton - seems to have no connection whatsoever with the area, unless I have missed some vital clues ! There ARE two Leonard Blurtons listed on the CWGC website but both are very clearly in Derbyshire and Staffordshire and I am at a loss to understand why this name appears on our memorial. Any ideas ?

(I've also researched those named on our WW2 memorial, where surprisingly there are as many as on the WW1 memorial)

Michael

Hi Michael,

I am interested in this topic, because the photograph you display is that of Pte. Michael Paul Richardson of Dundrum, Co. Dublin, who is one of our Great War heroes who appear in my book to be published later this year. Michael was killed in Gallipoli on 4 September 1915. Are you connected to Michael? Please send me a PM.

Regards,

Ken.

Michael,

Does either Leonard Blurton you have found have a married sister living in the area?

I have found a Reading man listed on the War Memorial on Ascot, over 15 miles away, because his sister lived there when the memorial was being put up.

Andrewr

tharkin56,

Doh! I hadn't spotted that I had 55 Freeman St. twice in my records! Thanks for that. So it was the Rudge factory that provided the link, then?

PM inbound so as not to hijack this thread. (Further... :hypocrite: )

John

• 2 weeks later...

West Berkshire War Memorials - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk - about 4,000 names. I don't expect I will ever complete it!

Currently concentrating on 339 WWI names on the Newbury Town War Memorial - over fifty stories online so far: www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/nstories.php

I might do something in book form one day, but it's so limiting - there is never enough space, something new always crops up the day the book is published, etc.

• 2 months later...

Whitnash in Warwickshire,

Currently collating all the information about the fallen on our war memorial, have even managed to get some relatives stories which make all the difference. Only been going at it for 6 months so far. The military side is relatively straight forward if you can get hold of the war diaries and identify the action. The social side of the person is the harder part. We have one that was a prisoner of war at the fall of the Singapore and died possibly in Changi Jail or camp. Is there any site or people I can contact for this persons records or info, he was 9th Coastal Battery, Royal Artillery.