The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte. John Patrick

9th Black Watch

Earlier today I chanced upon a photograph of my great grandfather in an old copy of the Dunfermline Express, 10 October 1916. Until today I had no idea that any photograph survived. I have a copy of his obituary which was published in several local newspapers but am absolutely delighted to have discovered a photo. I've listed some details below.

S-9242 Pte. John PATRICK

Born Inverkeithing, Fifeshire, 11 April 1875. Enlisted Cowdenbeath, Fifeshire, 28 May 1915. Killed in action, 9 September 1916, aged 41. Buried in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, XI. E. 31.

COWDENBEATH.

Official intimation has been received by Mrs. Patrick, 52 Foulford Road, Cowdenbeath, that her husband, Private John Patrick, Black Watch, was killed in action on 9th September. Deceased resided for twenty years in Kelty, where he was employed as a miner in the Lindsay Colliery. He took up residence in Cowdenbeath three years ago. He leaves a widow and four children.

I've been collecting medals etc. to the 9th for the last ten years or so and can't believe I've never come across his photo before. Anyway I'm thrilled to have found this and thought I'd share my discovery with everyone.

Best wishes,

Derek

post-1-1094052624.jpg

Thanks guys,

Here's a photograph of his grave which I meant to post earlier. It's been a few years since I visited. This was taken by Derek Robertson on a recent trip to France. Cheers Derek.

Derek

post-1-1094059261.jpg

Congratulations Derek. Absolutely brilliant.

Will you be able to pick him out now from all the 9th Bn. company photographs in your collection?

ps You'll have to change your signature pic now.

pss Can you pick me some numbers for the next lottery draw please? :D

Thanks Derek,

I can't get the smile of my face.

I've gone through some of the Company photographs but haven't identified him. Recently the Black Watch archivist - Thomas Smyth - was able to tell me that he enlisted on 28 May 1915. The Bn. arrived in France on 8 July 1915 so it doesn't look like he was part of the first draft. I'm waiting on the relevant MICs to become available online so I can confirm his date of entry. I'd always assumed he was in the Salisbury photographs but looks like I was wrong.

I'll probably change my signature photo if I can remember how - It took me ages to get the other one to work properly. The current one is Sergt. William Hector White, 9th R.Highrs. He came from Auchtermuchty and was killed at Loos. His father was a Black Watch C.-Sergt. who served in the Egyptian and Ashantee campaigns - apparently losing a leg.

Not sure about the lottery numbers. I guess there's got to be a '9' somewhere.

All the best,

Derek

Not sure about the lottery numbers. I guess there's got to be a '9' somewhere.

And maybe 42

Well done :D

Roger.

Derek:

Great news. An exciting discovery to say the least. I'm sure you will have a hard time sleeping tonight!

Chris

Thanks for all the comments on the above thread.

As today's the anniversary of my great grandfather's death I thought I'd post some additional details from the 9th Battalion war diary. On the 8th September B and C Companys had attacked a German trench outside the N.W. corner of High Wood.

9 SEPTEMBER 1916

FIRING LINE

The morning passed with a bombardment by our heavies of 3 hours duration. C Coy relieved B & D Coys in front line & trench was repaired, ammunition and rations were brought up. At 4.45 pm the 1st Divn on our R. made another attack on HIGH WOOD, the L.G.s in BETHELL SAP co-operating. Serious casualties were inflicted on the enemy. 5.00 pm The relief of the battalion in the line by the 5th NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS, 149th Brigade, 50th Division was commenced. The front line Coy was relieved at 10.15 pm & the relief completed. The battn marched back to billets in ALBERT.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to mention the other three 9th Black Watch soliders who died that day.

3-3317 L.-Cpl. Patrick Docherty

Born Dundee. Enlisted Perth. Died of wounds 9 September 1916, aged 33. Dartmoor Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt, Somme, L. A. 16. Son of Thomas Docherty, Dundee. Husban of Helen Connor Docherty, 8 Burnett Street, Dundee.

S-10529 George Thomas Masters

Born Linton Kent. Enlisted Maidstone Kent. Died of wounds, 9 September 1916.

Bazentin-le-Petit Communal Cemetery Extension, H. 6.

S-9242 Pte. John Patrick

Born Inverkeithing, Fife. Enlisted Cowdenbeath, Fife. Killed in action, 9 September 1916, aged 41. Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, XI. E. 31. Husband of Janet Dryburgh Patrick, 52 Foulford Road, Cowdenbeath.

S-9497 Sergt. Archibald Risk

Born Paisley, Renfrewshire. Enlisted Glasgow. Killed in action, 9 September 1916, aged 19. Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, XIX. A. 4. Son of Robert Risk, 50 Glasgow Road, Paisley.

Dark is thy tartan, Freimdun Dhu;

Black and green, and green and blue:

Now in it I see thread of red –

The blood our Highland host has shed.

Joseph Lee, 'Ballads of Battle' (London, 1916), 11.