The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

March in the Guilty *******

rarpos

I have just received a copy of a new book "March in the Guilty *******" (refers to an illegitimate) written by Des Lambley.

This refers to members of the First AIF that were subjects of Courts Martial during the First War.

It includes a list of all Australian soldiers (including some VC winners) dealt with this way.

Very interesting and well worth reading.

• 1 month later...
Guest desmonl8

Hi Sergeant & All

Thank you for your positive comments.

Remember that there are several dozen allied soldiers listed at p.337 (Most of them from British Units) who were picked up in a disciplinary process that saw them ending up in the Australian archives. From the research I suspect that these men had suffered a suspected self-inflicted wounding and were hospitalised. Authorities at those base hospitals were required to fully investigate any suspected self wounding and instigate a court martial. I suspect that all allied hospitals operated this way. Therefore, I also assume there would be numbers of Australian soldiers who may have been court martialled at allied hospitals and might not have been included in my main list of Australians. This would inflate my 17,000 listed.

I shall be at Hyde Park Corner for the Anzac Dawn Service on 25 April 2013 during our coming visit to the UK.

Des