The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

what type of Badge was used for the Regiment

Guest jon9

Hello

the badge on the first photo is that of the Yorkshire Regiment, or the Green Howards. sorry, cannot identify the collar badge on the second one.

Wienand

2nd photo - hard to see - but is it a fusilier's badge with 'flaming grenade'?

Or - just maybe - is that a 'globe' with something on top. Royal Marine?

Any chance to bigger scan?

Now I look a bit more careful I think you must be correct about that Ian (the scrolls below the grenade).

I would guess the Lancashire Fusliers, but it looks like an officers pattern. The officers had a scroll at the bottom and the Or's apparently did not. (Photoghs prop?) Also the short grenade flames indicate it as well. The only other collar that looks similiar is the R.A. and their title scroll was much shorter and curved, not straight and their grenade flames were far more higher. (According to Churchill and Westlake, British Army Collar Badges, 1881 to the Present, published in '86)

DrB

:)

Isn't the Lancs Fus collarbadge simply a Sphinx, though, not a grenade? (Either With or without Sphinx?)

Phil,

I think the sphynx figured on the officers buttons, but Dress Regulations of 1900 say that the officer's collar badge, on their dress tunic, is to be a grenade. What the poor OR's were issued is nothing more than a guess, although Churchill and Westlake picture a grenade for a collar badge. What era they are referring to, I'm not sure. The grenade with the scroll beneath they show as an officer's version in bronze, for the khaki service dress. (The grenade does bear the sphynx and 'Egypt' within a wreath of laurels with the title scroll beneath.)

I apologise that I can't offer anything more substantial than that.

DrB

:)