The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

H.JEMPSON .D.C.M.GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

j.r.f

PALS

Is there anyone out there who can help ? One of my boys,on st George Church,Bristol.Roll of honour andSt Ambrose East Bristol Chorch Lads Brigade Roll of honour is Lance Corporal H JEMPSON.D.C.M. His regimental number is 266081 .I ,reciently bought a list of citations for the D.C.M.,from David Bluestein,which is a copy of the London Gazett entry,in each case.This list contains one Pte..H.Jempson.Gloucestershire regiment.BUT the regimental number is DIFFERENT?? I took a look at the Gloucestershire regiment site and there is H.JEMPSON D.C.M. regimental no 3605.This is the same number as the London Gazett number.He is listed in both CWGC and SDGW as 266081 BUT they both also state his D.C.M. He was gazetted on 22/09/1916..He was killed in action 23/08/1917.

I can find no other H.JEMPSON,or even just JEMPSON,let alone one with a D.C.M. Dangerous this but I am convinced that he is one and the same person.Was there the renumbering between 22/09/1916 and 23/08/1917,OR is there a mistake in the numbering.I think the former is probably the truth.Is there anybody who can help me prove this ,one way or another.

CHEERS.

JOHN :unsure:

hello,

you will probably find he is a terrier, they had a number change in 1917, to confirm this you will have to pull his m.ic. from the national archive(online £3.50)

enoch

they are one & the same here's basic info from the mic

Description Medal card of Jempson, Herbert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Gloucestershire Regiment 3605 Private

Gloucestershire Regiment 266081 Private

John,

According to my records Herbert Jempson enlisted in 1st week in Jan 1915. He was associated with 398 Whitehall Rd, St George Bristol. Presented with his DCM at the Council House 22/1/17. also Cross of St George 4th Class 16/2/17.

PROMENADE

This is fantastic.How and from where did you get your information??

I am currently trying to research,what seems like all of east Bristol.I have nine separate files on different rolls of honor for the area.Much of the information you have given me is NOT avaliable either in CWGC material or SDGW.I am comparitively new to this research and any help would be very gratefully recieved.

CHEERS.

JOHN :D