The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

units and formations

douglass

I have found a family member from Berwickshire district Scotland who joined the Army Service Corps (Service Battalion) . Iwas wondering what type of unit this was?. Iknow he later went to Egypt but not sure if he was transferred to another regiment? for this?. any info greatly appreciated

many thanks

Douglas Steel

Douglas,

Do you have more information on the unit your relative joined? Details like a unit number etc would greatly help any research etc.

Wienand

Douglas, go to the Long, Long Trail site and click on Army Service Corps. This will give you a "quickie" on formations, etc. If you have any specific info, write me. I have the recently published Army Service Corps, 1902-1918 that has gobs of info. This sucker is 390 some pages thick, so hopefully I can find something for you. I do need more specifics if you have them.

Good luck in your search

DrB

:)

Douglas,

Generally the ASC were responsible for providing the army with it's supplies and transport. Service battalions were raised from volunteers initially.

Your man would have most likely been attached to a Division that spent some time in Egypt. However several did so, so without a few other clues it would be hard to suggest which one and when.

If you drop us a name and any other clues I'm sure someone here will have more to add.