The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

196 Siege Battery - RGA

Paul Johnson

Trying to establish which formations the 196 SB were attached to up to December 1917. Can anyone assist me please?

The reason I am asking is that I am researching the life of the following man;

81429 Gunner FREDERICK CAREY,

DOW (Gassed) 02/11/1917 Age: 34

Son of F. W. and Jane Carey, of 20, Roy Rd., Northwood, Middlesex.

ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY (XXX. J. 3.)

War Diary only goes up to the end of September 1917. What happened then??

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

196th Siege Battery served with 25th Heavy Artillery Group from 24 Sep 17 to 12 Dec 14; with 92nd HAG from 13 Dec 17 to 18 Dec 17 and with 85th HAG from 19 Dec 17 to 6 Feb 18.

The War Diary for 25th HAG from Feb 1915 to Jul 1919 is at WO95/303. The War Diary for 92nd HAG for Mar 1917 to Mar 1919 is at WO/397 and the War Diary for 85th HAG for Apr 1917 to Feb 1919 is at WO95/479.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

I have been away for the weekend so could not reply before now. Just wanted to say a big Thank You for your assistance. Will look up the WD's when I am next at the PRO. Out of interest, Fred Carey left a Diary of his life on the Western Front which has been transcribed by his family into type. They would now like to tie this up with the info from the PRO and try to tie his account with the official records.

Thanks Again

PAUL JOHNSON

Paul: I was wondering it would be possible to get a digitial or hard copy of Fred Carey's diary? In return I would be willing to supply as much information as I can on the gunners, units and locations mentioned in the diary. Regards. Dick Flory