The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheshire Regiment 8th Bt Turkey?

Guest lawrence

Guest lawrence

Could some one help please my late uncle William Ollier was in this regiment and on his death certificate it shows that he died in 1917 as POW at Bor near Nigde in Turkey am try to find out what led to him being there he was actually buried at the Northgate Cemetry at Baghdad (CWWGC.)any info would help ie battles, campain etc many thanks lawrence ollier

Lawrence, you are the very sort of person I built the website for! Go to the main page at www.1914-1918.net. Click on 'Infantry' then choose 'Cheshire'. You will then find a potted history of all the battalions including the 8th. You will see they were in 13th (Western) Division. Click on that and you will see that they were posted to Mesopotamia. Click on that and you can follow the whole story of the campaign. And then you'll know why he is buried where he is!

Lawrence,

My name is Martin Buckley. Billy Ollier was my Grandfathers cousin (his mother was an Ollier). My father worked for Brian Ollier for 30+ years (as did I, briefly). I have Billy's service record from the PRO and would be very pleased to let you have a copy. I've e - mailed you direct with this info as well. Did you know that Billy's cousin, Ernest Gough, was also killed. He died fighting Bolsheviks near Archangel.

Regards

Martin