The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Memoirs books

PauloLib

War is war by ex private x

There's a long list of them on this thread: http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=189986

Yes, Paul, SeaJane beat me to it, but we have over fifty memoirs/diaries (including Thirteen Days on the Somme) listed. This was in reply to my plea for help with my addiction to Great War memoirs (help with more memoirs to read rather than for a cure that is :whistle: ).

William

In 2004 Scarecrow press published a book called 'World War 1 Memories' by Edward G Lengel. The book lists all the memoirs published after 1918 and up to about 2003. Obviously a number of books have been published since then but it is still the most comprehensive list available.

Garth

there our hundreds and hundreds of memoirs some of which you can never find !! i always like these

"Ghosts have warm hands" about the canadians

"Surgery ion Trestles" by Begg about the medical corps in mesopotamia {1915-1916} written in 1967 and readily available

"The war the infantry knew" by Dunn possibly the best ever written about an infantry battalion

"Old soldiers never die" by richards {his other volume "old soldier sahib" pre war soldering in India is also very readable}

regards John