The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Silver War Badge Roll on CD-Rom - anyone have any more info?

Charles Fair

The latest N&MP catalogue has just dropped onto my doormat. I see that the SWB Roll will shortly be out on CD-Rom and that they have one of their usual 'early bird' offers. I'm trying to weigh up whether it will be a worthwhile investment. Does anyone have any more info such as screenshots? The website page is not too forthcoming as it merely repeats what is in the paper catalogue. http://www.naval-military-press.com/silver-war-badge-cd-rom-early-bird-offer-awarded-for-services-rendered-by-soldiers-of-the-british-army-to-king-and-empire-1914-18-and-honourably-discharged-owing-to-wounds-or-sickness.-version-1.0.html

Hi, for what it's worth the Silver War Badge records are available on Ancestry - I've found them to be quite reliable, i.e. better indexed than many of the records on Ancestry.

All the best, John

• Admin

Charles

The first thing I noticed is the system requirements:

Recommended System Requirements: A PC running Windows 7, XP or Vista with 512MB RAM installed and an 8X speed CD-ROM drive. Please note this product is not Mac OS or Linux compatible.

There is no mention of windows 8. As it is a different software architecture to Win 7 or XP, I'd want to be very sure it was compatible before spending money on it.

As mentioned, the Army rolls are available on Ancestry. Unfortunately they cannot be searched by regimental number but I have found this post from themonsstar to be extremely helpful in being able to browse using the MIC reference

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48261&st=100#entry1171727

As long as Ancestry holds the service records and MICs, we are captive to them so I personally wouldn't be paying out twice for them.

Reading the bumf about the SWB Rolls on Ancestry shows:

Original data:

War Office and Air Ministry: Service Medal and Award Rolls, First World War. Silver War Badge. RG WO 329, 2958–3255. The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, England.

Images provided by permission of The National Archives; Index provided by permission of Naval and Military Press.

which kind of suggests NMP will only give an indexed name as per the Soldiers Died CD mentioned in description rather than an actual page image like Ancestry. I too would be interested in seeing a screenshot.

Glen

• 3 years later...

I am considering purchasing the above, but I have one requirement: is it possible to configure the search, so that the column "Served overseas?" field can be interrogated?

The goal is to find men in a given regiment who received the SWB and had not served overseas.

Ancestry does not allow this, as its search fields are
First & Middle Name(s)
Last Name
Keyword
e.g. teacher or "Tower of London"
Regimental Number
Regiment
Discharge Unit
Badge Number

My original approach was to go through the pertinent depot pages, one by one, on Ancestry.

If I can do searches, then I will be able to justify purchasing the CD-ROM.

I have not seen any reviews as such; all I have seen is a screenshot on the GWF.

Regards, GP

There is a contact phone number on the N&M website - I'm sure they would answer the query in post 7

Keith

Hi Keith

I did send an e-mail to them, but have not heard a reply as of yet. I had hoped that someone who owns a copy would come across this post, and to be able to answer my question.

Regards, GP

My recollection, which may well be flawed, is that not every sheet of SWB records whether overseas service or not. Most do, but it's not exact.

(Note: it is some while back that I used the Ancestry for quite a number of look-ups - and this wasnt what I was specifically looking for)

Hi John,

From what I recall from the images I have seen on Ancestry, it was a bit patchy as to whether the page inserted in the roll asked the question or not.

I'm hoping the answer to my question is "Yes, the column "Served overseas?" field can be interrogated."

Regards,

GP

16 hours ago, GrenPen said:

I'm hoping the answer to my question is "Yes, the column "Served overseas?" field can be interrogated."

I have had a reply from Gary at N&M Press. He confirms that it is possible.

NMP_SWB_CD_ROM.JPG