The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte. Harold R. Peat, 3rd CEF

BottsGreys

I recently acquired this autographed photo of Private Harold R. Peat, who served in the 3rd Bn CEF. I believe he suffered a crippling wound to his arm, and apparently wrote a memoir of his war experiences which was published. By chance, does anyone have any detailed information on Peat? Has anyone read his book and if so, do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Chris

post-1-1094316341.jpg

Amazingly I came across a copy of this book in the 'Shell Hole' at Ypres this week; haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks good.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I've had this on my bookshelf for months now; just started it; it's a fast read about a 9th Battalion First Contingent man, born in Kingston, Jamaica. It was written in 1917, after his crippling wound.

So far it's interesting; I'm nodding my head as he confirms what I've already read about life as a private.

• 2 weeks later...

Canadawwi:

Thanks for the info. I just checked it out and printed off a copy of the speech. I just received my copy of Peat's book this week and plan on diving into it this weekend. As Paul R. and Broz opined, it looks pretty interesting.

Thanks again,

Regards

Chris

I note in Chapter XII, he states that on the night of April 22, 1915, the Germans crucified 3 sergeants. He saw one of the bodies. He knows a sergeant of Edmonton who has in his possession actual photographs of the men taken before they were removed from the barnside. The news spread rapidly through all ranks.

It's a darned shame these photos have never surfaced. They would have certainly helped in the post-war enquiry and the recent documentary. Dag nab it, anyway.

:unsure: