The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Landing at Anzac, 1915: Chris Roberts (Crunchy)

PMHart

The Landing at Anzac, 1915

Chris Roberts

Australian Army Campaigns Series, No 12

Sydney, Big Sky, 2013

In this excellent book Chris Roberts treads dangerous ground and challenges the popular view, utilising his own military experience in undertaking a full tactical analysis of the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli on 25 April, 1915. This is a topic wreathed in mythology and even today most Australians and New Zealanders have a real emotional attachment to what they believe happened on that rugged shore. Roberts puts aside sentiment and examines the evidence, based on the forces engaged, the framework of military operations and utilising all credible sources - including the Turks - to present fresh insights in a robust account told from both the ANZAC and Turkish sides.

To place the battle in context, the composition, weaponry and doctrine of the opposing forces, together with their relative training and experience are reviewed. The tactical thinking behind the deployment of machine guns is particularly interesting, given the controversy over their possible presence overlooking the beaches in the first hours of the landing. Roberts details the Turkish dispositions and in a persuasive appendix argues that the Turks held these scarce and valuable resources in reserve, well behind the battlefield, rather than liberally scattering them along the coast as in the popular view.

Roberts provides a clear and compelling analytical narrative, eschewing the view the misplaced landing completely disrupted the ANZAC plan. Rather two fateful decisions by Colonel Ewen Sinclair-MacLagen, commanding the covering force, determined the course of the battle. turning the initial ANZAC success into a defensive battle. This was compounded by the failure of Major General William Bridges to exercise firm control and get a grip of the battle. In contrast the aggressive but focussed reactions of the Turkish commanders - particularly Colonels Sefik Aker and Mustapha Kemal - enabled them to seize the tactically dominant heights and contain the ANZAC bridgehead.

In a carefully drawn conclusion Roberts reflects on the reasons for the ANZAC failure. In doing so he seeks not to blame individuals but highlights the deeper roots of failure - inadequate preparation and resources, inexperienced commanders and troops, the manifold difficulties they faced, dubious command decisions based on poor situational awareness and the competent performance of the Turks.

Over the last thirty years there has been a refreshing maturity amongst Australian military historians in their readiness to overturn prevailing myths: this book is no exception. While Roberts recognises the undoubted debt we owe to Charles Bean, he questions several assertions in the Australian Official History. Overall, it is clear that the Anzac landings and the campaign that followed were a failure. True the courage and endurance demonstrated by the men of the ANZAC Corps created a spirit that has endured for nearly a 100 years, but it is surely time to join Chris Roberts in facing up to that reality.

Liberally illustrated with clear maps and evocative photographs The Landing at Anzac, 1915 is a valuable addition to Australian and New Zealand historiography, that is likely to arouse considerable debate - especially from those who are wedded to the mythology of the battle.

Peter Hart

Copyright: Wartime, Australian War Memorial, 2013

Peter

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I haven't read the book, so could you please tell me which particular "myths" are being questioned here? The big "myth", that Australia came of age at Gallipoli as a nation and society, is one that has recently come under criticism by a group of influential left-wing academic historians, who are unhappy (and perhaps shocked) that ANZAC Day has become so popular once again. They have a particular political agenda which, personally, I do not find refreshing, seeing that it is steeped in the smell of the 1960s and early 1970s. This agenda has been described as a 'commitment to an elitist agenda of self-laceration' [Mervyn Bendle, 'Gallipoli: Second Front in the History Wars', Quadrant, June 2009]. But there are also other smaller "myths", such as the anti-British ones and the "larrikin" one. The larrikin one still has an effect on how the Australians' poor discipline/behaviour is viewed both then and now, being used as an excuse for much modern bad behaviour. Are all of these touched on in the book?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

You won't have read the book yet as I don't think it has been released to booksellers, released in time for Anzac Day sounds about right. Peter is obviously quoting his review that is being published in the next edition of Wartime magazine due out shortly.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hi Mike,

No none of them - it is a military history focusing on the tactical situation at Anzac - indeed surprisingly it is much as described in the review in the opening post. The myths are concerned largely with the Australian performance and nature of the Turkish resistance. I personally am steeped in the 'smell' of the 1970s and early 1980s but am cheerily tolerant of right-wing bigots of all sorts!

Smelly Pete

Pete

No nasty smells emanate from your books, as far as I'm concerned.

Perth Bigot

Peter,

Thank you for your very kind review.

Mike,

It certainly doesn't attack the issue of Anzac Day, the Anzac legend or any coming of age. It is both a narrative of events told from both the Anzac and Turkish perspectives, and a tactical analysis of those events, including issues that are part of the national myth. It covers the story up to the morning of 28th April.

The book was written, pro bono, as part as the Australian Army Campaign Series , sponsored by the Australian Army History Unit, and I don't benefit from any sales. While it is written primarily for today's soldiers, with a view to learning lessons that are relevant today, I also tried to write it for the general public. Thus there are sections which describe how armies fought at that time, including the doctrine, a tactical analysis of the ground, discussion of the dilemmas of defending a long coastline with insufficient resources, and some fundamentals of an amphibious operation. And yes it does cover the NZEF.

It is the result of over 30 years research, culminating in getting access to several Turkish sources and comparing their accounts with ours. I was also fortunate enough to interview veterans of the landing, including Noel Loutit, who as a young lieutenant was one of the men who made it furtherest inland on the 25th, and disagreed with Bean's version of his actions on the day. What they all told me was different to the popular view, and set me on a quest to try and determine what occurred. In doing so I found some of the veterans accounts sent to Bean differed from what he wrote.

Obviously, I don't expect everyone to agree with what I have written, but would hope that people will read it with an open mind.

Hendo,

Correct weight.

The book will be out in early April. Price $19.95

For those who may be interested the cover is attached

Cheers

Chris

post-14124-0-25346900-1362650314_thumb.j

Sounds great - I look forward to getting hold of a copy. I guess they will be available through the AWM book shop. Well done Chris. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Dear Chris

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain what your book is about. I will certainly get a copy and look forward to reading it.

Mike

I too will be investing in a copy, being interested in a 2nd battalion, C company man. I look forward to it.

30 years work. What's the next project Chris? :)

Mike

Congratulations Chris - I've been waiting for this for a few years (but not quite 30)! Will it be available in the UK or will it be mail order from Australia? Regards, Jonathan S

Chris, look forward to buying a copy and reading it. Noel Loutit once tapped me on the shoulder in the Mess and introduced himself by saying "when I was your age I landed on Gallipoli" so I look forwad to reading your scholarly account. He was well known by us as the brigadier who ran Alice Springs in WW2 but in those days none of us knew anything about his WW1 service.

Cheers,

Bill

Shipping Steel, Mike, Mike (Skipman), Jonathan, and Bill,

Many thanks for your kind words.

Shippingsteel,

I am pretty sure it will be in the AWM bookshop.

Jonathan and Mike (Skipman),

I am not sure if it will be out in the UK. It can be ordered from here http://regimental-books.com.au/the-landing-at-anzac-1915-p-3712.html and I think Big Sky will be issuing it as an ebook. I will enquire and let you know, on both counts.

Bill,

What mess was that - Keswick Barracks? Noel was a delight to interview, as bright as a button and fit as a fiddle even at 85. He had pretty firm views on a few things. He ended up commanding the 45th Battalion in September 1918. In Anzacs on the Western Front: The Australian War Memorial Battlefield Guide we discuss a neat little action he led at Noreul on 2 April 1917 (pages 129-130).

Cheers

Chris

Chris, he was a frequent visitor to the 10th Battalion RSAR officers' mess in Torrens Parade Ground where we knew him as Brigadier Loutit. I was the only 2nd Lieutenant at the time and forum member Black, author of the Fighteen Nineteenth (19th Bn AIF) was the adjutant. Sadly, I can't recall much of what we talked about over a beer, apart from officers having swords sharpened at Morphetville pre-embarkation, how they did 'fire and movement' against the Turks in Gallipoli and Noel was adamant they had been put on the wrong beach but they "when we saw the beach we were meant to be on we would have been killed".

David (Black) interviewed him a few times and took detailed notes which were published in one of the contemporary Infantry Journals.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Andy,

No it doesn't. The 24th Battalion arrived on Gallipoli around 4 September 1915. My book concludes on the morning 28 April. Every battalion of the 1st Australian Division, the New Zealand Brigade and the 4th Australian Brigade gets a mention, as do most of the artillery batteries. plus the Turkish units that fought against them

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Bill.

Yes he said much the same thing to me. I discuss the original landing site and the effect of the misplaced landing in the book. In fact the landing wasn't as far off as many believe, but it probably saved a lot of casualties than had they landed as intended.

Cheers

Chris

Received advice from the publisher that international sales, other than NZ, will be by ebook, and "will be live around the world on Amazon and iBookstore within the next week." Hard copies through the link provided above.

Regards

Chris

Well done Chris look forward to getting a copy

Received advice from the publisher that international sales, other than NZ, will be by ebook, and "will be live around the world on Amazon and iBookstore within the next week." Hard copies through the link provided above.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris - your efforts to provide an answer are most appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have asked about the ebook version I received the following from the publisher today.

Your ebooks are now live around the world on Apple and Amazon – Google Play should be live within the week. All links are up on our website so spread the word. We will be sending out a new release newsletter on this title after Easter.

http://www.bigskypublishing.com.au/Books/Campaign-Series/The-Landing-at-Anzac/1006/productview.aspx

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris,

I have only just logged on to the GWF after being away from the computer for a couple of weeks.

Good to hear you have tackled the thorny issues of the Landing and that some of the proper analysis about events on those first few days can now be presented in the proper context. I concur with you on the matter of the Ottoman forces holding their machine-guns to the rear until a fixed point of landing could be assessed. Those Turkish soldiers first ecountered in the pre-dawn darkness of the 25th April were on picket duty only - they did not have the capacity to hurl the invaders back into the sea at that point in time - but I'm sure you have covered that aspect and others. I look forward to getting hold of a copy earliest.

Yes, Bill (White star Line) was one of a group of rowdy subalterns in 10 Bn RSAR that I had the honour to keep on the straight and narrow, as it were. I consider that introducing them to a real veteran like "Tomtit" or "Tommy" Loutit was part of ensuring their military education, as at that time, the late 70s, we were at the front end of "The Big Peace". Loutit lived quite close to me and I visited him at his home on several occasions. I have the notes of those interviews somewhere in a trunk, plus they were published in contemporary issues of the Infantry Journal. His wife served us tea, but that ritual over, he introduced me to his favourite tipple - scotch whisky - you may have heard of this libation. "Have another scotch, (Black)..." was an oft-used phrase during these sessions. Being the junior officer, one could only say "Yessir!" - often. And now as a result of his insistence, I can only recommend the healing properties of this fine drink myself.

One interesting aspect - "Tommy" was no big fan of Brand, the Brigade Major of the 3rd Brigade. He though Brand was a pompous, over-officious blusterer, as he (Brand) would apparently vent his rage at many of the subaltern officers within his purview on any pretext. If I recall, Brand went on to command a division (no notes handy) and Loutit of course went on to command the 45th Bn at a very young age. But I digress.

Well done on the new book.

Regards,

Black

Hello Black,

Many thanks for your kind words and reminiscences of Noel Loutit. You and I would have been interviewing him at the about the same time, but I was Brigade Major 1st Task Force at the time so I could only see him infrequently.

I found Loutit very credible and as bright as a button. I recall he wasn't impressed with Brand, especially on the 400 Plateau when they came across the Turkish mountain battery at Lone Pine. Nor was he impressed with Ryder deciding to withdraw from Adana Spur. Loutit felt there was no real need to withdraw at that time. We lost a real gem when he passed away.

Sekik (Commander 27th Regiment) writes his force was on "observation and security duties" which agrees with your point that essentially they were on piquet duty, rather than a full blown defence. The evidence, including Bean, clearly shows they withdrew inland fairly quickly. This begs the question as to why Sefik would want to put his four MG's forward on the beaches. I believe the MG's the leading waves heard were those mounted in the bows of the steam pinnaces.

I hope you enjoy the book.

Best wishes

Chris

Just downloaded the book. Looking forward to reading it very much.

Jonathan