The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The remembered soldier of the day

Jon Miller

A couple of weeks ago, the remembered soldier of the day was one Pte Frank Lethbridge who was KIA 25 Aug 1914. I couldn't believe I was seeing his name because he is one of my local men that I am researching, and I know his niece. Is this type of discovery a rare or frequent occurrence for other forum members?

Marina - Terry Denham weaved his secret magic to create the list of names. My understanding is that it's sort of random (in that Terry isnt making a point by including/excluding individuals). However he has ensured that over time there will be a mix of nationalities, units, etc.

Personally, I'm happy NOT to know how he decided what he decided. The randomness just acts a a focus for me as to why I'm interested in this period of history.

Jon - Statistically, it must be a rare occurance. Hundreds of thousands of names in the CWGC database.Those being researched by active members of the Forum must be a tiny percentage.

Andy

I found that I recognised the name of the man listed on 14th August

ALEXANDER JAMIESON

S/13318 Private

8th/10th Bn. Gordon Highlanders

14/08/1916

He fell in action on the Somme, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. Age 19.

He was the son Alexander and Elsie Jamieson of Duncanston, Leslie and later Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire. They lost both sons as his brother James also fell serving with 6th Gordon Highlanders on 10 April 1917. Age 21.

I am in regular contact with their nephew.

This is the thread which announced the start of the feature. My explanation of the process is about ten or so posts down.

Thanks, Terry - all clear now. I've always liked the idea of the names being there - I say the day's name aloud every time.

Marina