The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Arras 1917

JesseM88

Hello all. Sorry if this is the wrong place for such a query but I couldn't find a better one.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend some books regarding the 1917 Battle of Arras. It seems to be a somewhat neglected area. I have Cheerful Sacrifice, Walking Arras, Arras 1917: The Journey to Railway Triangle, as well as a copy of Jeremy Banning and Peter Barton's fantastic work. Thanks to the wonderful users of this site, I also have a variety of primary documents relating to the experiences of the 9th (Scottish) Division in the early stages of the offensive. But I am feeling rather hungry for more.

I am interested in developing a sense of what the historiography has been like on the subject. It would probably be a good idea to expand a bit by exploring biographies of Allenby which might discuss Arras, as well as things relating to the Nivelle Offensive. So any suggestions in that regard would also be very appreciated.

Would this also be worth picking up a copy? http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-German-at-Arras/p/1682/

Although this period of the war has great significance for me from a personal point of view with my Great-Grandfather, I'm also quite fascinated with it in general. I think the Spring of 1917 is just so critical for a variety of reasons, that I could drone on and on about then my post would be way too long.

Cheers,

Jesse

HI Jesse

You have in your possession almost the whole library for Arras. More specific works can be found in the Battleground Europe series; there being books on Gavrelle, Monchy le Preux and Oppy Wood plus one on the airfields and last but not least Paul Reed's 'Walking Arras'. The book you name above is a good one for photographs (especially at £4.95 with Naval & Military Press) but not the detail you want. If you want another general study then Prelude ot Victory by Sir Edward Spears covers the politics surrounding the battle as well as the action itself although it does fall down a little in the latter area. It is out of print but Abebooks have decent copies at about £25 to £30.

Of course you could always add 1917 Volume 1 of the Official History to your shelves - the account in this volume is well written and quite comprehensive.

Jim

Both the Australian and Canadian Official Histories are online, and there are a number of books on Bullecourt as a seperate action, by Paul

Kendall and Jonithan Walker. Also Alexander McKee and Pierre Berton on Vimy

HI Jesse

You have in your possession almost the whole library for Arras. More specific works can be found in the Battleground Europe series; there being books on Gavrelle, Monchy le Preux and Oppy Wood plus one on the airfields and last but not least Paul Reed's 'Walking Arras'. The book you name above is a good one for photographs (especially at £4.95 with Naval & Military Press) but not the detail you want. If you want another general study then Prelude ot Victory by Sir Edward Spears covers the politics surrounding the battle as well as the action itself although it does fall down a little in the latter area. It is out of print but Abebooks have decent copies at about £25 to £30.

Of course you could always add 1917 Volume 1 of the Official History to your shelves - the account in this volume is well written and quite comprehensive.

Jim

Prelude to Victory sounds a lot like what I'm looking for from the perspective of everything beyond the operational side of things. Not cheap but I'll have to pick up a copy some time. Is the focus more on the Nivelle Offensive? Or is there a broader perspective given?

No the focus is very much the British angle and therefore Arras. There is much on the political shenanigans of Lloyd George during early 1917 but be careful of Spears, he tells a wonderful story and when he is present his eye witness accounts are invaluable (his 1914 book 'Liaison' is a fantastic account of the French 5th Army in turmoil). Unfortunately he also paints meetings he is not present at with a similar brush.

Jim

When he retires, perhaps Jim will write a book?

Roger

With Jim's knowledge of the Arras area that would be a book I would like to see :thumbsup:

Andy

With Jim's knowledge of the Arras area that would be a book I would like to see :thumbsup:

Andy

Agreed!

Roger

Jesse - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog entry about your trip.

I know that there are new books planned on Arras. I spoke about Arras at Thames Valley WFA a year or two ago and one of the audience was Don Farr (biographer of Horne) who said he was just starting work on a volume.

Once the centenary commemorations are out of the way I plan on doing another one myself. I have just spent ten days out of the last fortnight around Arras and thorougly enjoyed it (as ever!)

Jesse - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog entry about your trip.

I know that there are new books planned on Arras. I spoke about Arras at Thames Valley WFA a year or two ago and one of the audience was Don Farr (biographer of Horne) who said he was just starting work on a volume.

Once the centenary commemorations are out of the way I plan on doing another one myself. I have just spent ten days out of the last fortnight around Arras and thorougly enjoyed it (as ever!)

I am always highly pleased to hear that someone actually read it! Thanks!

I greatly look forward to Don Farr's planned work as well as your potential book. I have pondered doing something myself but lack the academic credentials at this point, and my 'expertise' on Arras is mainly from a Divisional perspective (the 9th, to be specific).

Do biographies of Allenby tend to downplay the Arras/3rd Army chapter of his career? Not that it was entirely his fault, but I would imagine the aftermath was quite a low-point for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good biography of Allenby? I find it fascinating that he essentially took the weight of responsibility for Arras '17 and got (more of less) sacked and sent to Palestine, yet goes on to have some of the greatest successes of his career in that theatre.

As a Canadian, I can tell you that we are pretty thoroughly indoctrinated with the aura of Sit Arthur Currie as this amazingly competent general who would have eventually taken over Haig's position if the war had continued beyond 1918. But if it hadn't been for Arras one could argue he wouldn't have had the success he enjoyed, as Sir Julian Byng might not have become commander of 3rd Army, and thus vacated the seat of Corps commander for the Canadians for Currie to rise to from his former post as commander of 1st Canadian Division.

How about the two volumes by Lord Wavell?

'Allenby: a study in greatness' & 'Allenby in Egypt'.

Or 'Imperial Warrior' by Lawrence James.

Simon.