The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help needed with Captain I. A. Geddes, A I F

John F

I am trying to find out any information regarding NX127465 Captain I. A. Geddes, Australian Imperial Force. I know he is entitled to a Territorial Efficiency Medal (GVI) (Bar: Australia) but I am trying to find out if he is entitled to anything else. I have looked in the usual places but have come up with nothing. Do any pals have any information or can tell me where to look for it.

Thank you

John

I wonder if (and it is likely) that this is the same IA Geddes who stayed on in the Australian Army after WW2 and becames a Brigadier and commander Australian Army Assistance Group Vietnam.

Such a high number is likely to indicate that he actually transferred to the Australian Army post war (in the "interim army" 1946-48 before the Australian Regular Army was re-formed and the CMF returned to its "original" state). I say transferred because of the TA decoration though he may have resigned from the TA emigrated to Australia and then joined the Australian Army (this is doubtful because it would be a break in service at least from the Australian perspective).

You might try the (Australian National Archives as they are the custodians of all service records (though they can be held in various government depratments for various reasons). The Australian War Memorial has pictures of Brig Geddes (see under collections database). The Soldier Career Management Agency (part of the Australian Department of Defence) is responsible for the issue and re-issue of medals (look under Central Army Records Office menu item).

Cheers

Edward

Bit of a mystery here.

The Nominal Rolls available on the Australian War Memorial site do not include any I A Geddes. WW2 serial no NX127465 is "missing". The adjacent numbers show enlistments during October & November 1942, but in most cases another serial no is quoted suggesting re-allocation.

Edward

Can you please tell me what you mean by transfering to the Australian Army. Are you saying he transfered from the UK to the Australian Army.

Bonza

I checked through the roll & like you could not find him.

Thank you for your help. I will let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers John

Edward

Can you please tell me what you mean by transfering to the Australian Army. Are you saying he transfered from the UK to the Australian Army.

Bonza

I checked through the roll & like you could not find him.

Thank you for your help. I will let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers John

Yes I mean transferred from the British Army to the Australian Army.

There were periods when the Australian Army offered some inducements to pick up particular trades (to make up for shortfalls from local sources). There was in addition a lot of "ten quid tourists" post world war 2 to about the 1960s and some of these were then serving personnel who transferred (and maintained continutiy of service).

I served with several WO2s who had come out as Sergeants from the British Army at the time of Vietnam (I joined in the immediate post-Vietnam era). One was bomb disposal (ex RAOC) while one was a mech (ex REME) "enticed" out for some particular piece of kit they had just bought (then) (mortar locating radar ?).

Cheers

Edward

I am pretty sure the chap Edward is referring to must be the same person. Brigadier Ian Geddes was the original Commandant of the officer training unit at Scheyville. I am pretty sure that he is still alive and presents a prize and RMC Duntroon graduations. I think he may have had an English accent. As advised by Edward he was the commander of the Australian Army Assistance Group Vietnam during 1972. In one of the photo's in the AWM site he seems to have a couple of rows of medals which would suggest WW2 service.

Rgds

Tim

Ian Aubrey GEDDES was awarded the National Medal on the 14th July 1977. There are three entries in the index which I understand indicates the awarding of subsequent bars suggested 35 years service. I would guess he is the same character.

The National Medal was one of the first three elements of the Australian system of honours and awards introduced in early 1975. When the Medal was introduced it recognised 15 years' diligent service by members of the Defence Force, Australian police forces, and fire and ambulance services. In 1982, the Defence Force Service Awards provided for long service in the Australian Defence Force and eligibility for the National Medal was varied to enable persons who had participated in part-time and volunteer service in organisations other than the Defence Force to qualify for the National Medal. Progressively since then, members of the Australian Protective Service and correctional and emergency services have become eligible for the award the National Medal. A clasp to the Medal is given for each 10 years' additional service.

Regards

Tim D